Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello im new to Linux i want to switch from xp to either slackware 13 or ubuntu 9.10 i have both distros but ive tried to get my modem to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Huawei e160e wireless usb stick

Hello im new to Linux i want to switch from xp to either slackware 13 or ubuntu 9.10 i have both distros but ive tried to get my modem to work can anyone tell me an easy way to do this cheers

Linux Guru
    First, Slackware is not a good distro for newbies. Ubuntu is better to start with.

This looks to be a broadband wireless device. Did you set it up in the Ubuntu NetworkManager? Right-click the NetworkManager icon, usually found in the taskbar next to the Date/Time. Select the "Edit Connections..." option. Then select the "Mobile Broadband" tab, and click on the "+Add" button.

You now should have a connection Wizard. Go through the steps to set it up for your provider. After finishing, left-click the NetworkManager icon, and your wireless broadband should now be listed.

If your specific provider is not listed, you will have to select one that is similar, and manually edit the connection details.
    Last edited by waterhead; 12-20-2009 at 12:53 PM.
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.

Linux User
    Plug it in.
    Use wizard that pops up to get it connected.
    Use internet.

Also, 8.10 is over a year old, try updating.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    It's supported natively in NetworkManager. It works significantly better on my Fedora install than it does on certain commercial operating systems.

If you've plugged it in and it doesn't work, then check with your Ubuntu package manager that NetworkManager is installed.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/