Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
On my system, that wireless and driver for the rt2870 produce this result: Code: ra0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx inet addr:192.168.x.xx Bcast:192.168.1.xxx Mask:255.255.255.0 inet6 addr: xxxx::xxx:xxx:xxxx:xxx/xx Scope:Link UP BROADCAST RUNNING ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Guru

On my system, that wireless and driver for the rt2870 produce this result:

Code:
    ra0       Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx  
              inet addr:192.168.x.xx  Bcast:192.168.1.xxx  Mask:255.255.255.0
              inet6 addr: xxxx::xxx:xxx:xxxx:xxx/xx Scope:Link
              UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
              RX packets:88 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
              TX packets:66 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
              collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000 
              RX bytes:13500 (13.5 KB)  TX bytes:8717 (8.7 KB)
    I am running Ubuntu 9.04, if that makes any difference.
    Last edited by waterhead; 12-25-2009 at 01:54 AM.
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.

Linux Guru
    I am pretty sure that the driver that I am using came from the Ralink web site.

Ralink corp.

You will need to download and compile the RT2870USB driver. To do that in Ubuntu, you first need to install these packages.

linux-headers
    build-essential

Running make and sudo make install should install this driver. This will replace any rt2870sta driver in your current kernel. If you update the kernel, you will need to run these commands for the new kernel.

I hope this gets the wireless working for you.

EDIT: Follow the README_STA file that comes with the driver for more detailed instructions. Especially change the /os/linux/config.mk file to resemble this:
    Code:
    # Support Wpa_Supplicant
    HAS_WPA_SUPPLICANT=y

# Support Native WpaSupplicant for Network Maganger
    HAS_NATIVE_WPA_SUPPLICANT_SUPPORT=y
    Last edited by waterhead; 12-25-2009 at 02:36 AM.
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.

Just Joined!
    Thank you, waterhead. However, I still can not get it to work.

I downloaded the driver from your link. I can not find linux-headers or build-essential. After searching a little bit, I'm still not sure how to install them. Then, I just go ahead with make and sudo make install. The following is the message form the make install:
    Code:
    make -C /home/newlife/Download/RT2870_LinuxSTA_V2.3.0.0/os/linux -f Makefile.6 install
    make[1]: Entering directory `/home/newlife/Download/RT2870_LinuxSTA_V2.3.0.0/os/linux'
    rm -rf /etc/Wireless/RT2870STA
    mkdir /etc/Wireless/RT2870STA
    cp /home/newlife/Download/RT2870_LinuxSTA_V2.3.0.0/RT2870STA.dat /etc/Wireless/RT2870STA/.
    install -d /lib/modules/2.6.31.5-0.1-desktop/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/
    install -m 644 -c rt2870sta.ko /lib/modules/2.6.31.5-0.1-desktop/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/
    /sbin/depmod -a 2.6.31.5-0.1-desktop
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/newlife/Download/RT2870_LinuxSTA_V2.3.0.0/os/linux'
    I didn't see any error so I guess it's properly installed? Then I reboot, and ifconfig still can not recognize the wireless card. (lsusb recognize the card though.)

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by getWireless View Post
    Thank you, waterhead. However, I still can not get it to work.

I downloaded the driver from your link. I can not find linux-headers or build-essential. After searching a little bit, I'm still not sure how to install them.
    You first need a wired internet connection. Then run this command.
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install build-essential linux-headers-`uname -r`
    Those are backticks around the uname -r part, not apostrophies.

As for the no errors when you built it. If you didn't have the correct files installed first, it couldn't possibly build it. Is the rt2870sta module loading?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2