Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Right, i've just installed the wlanUZG.inf using ndiswrapper -i /cdrom/Bin/Install/USB/Driver/Ndis5x/WlanUZG.inf then: ndiswrapper -l giving wlanuzg: Driver installed device (0803:4410) present Then i did: ndiswrapper -m (followed by >) ndiswrapper -ma ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Right, i've just installed the wlanUZG.inf using

ndiswrapper -i /cdrom/Bin/Install/USB/Driver/Ndis5x/WlanUZG.inf
    then:

ndiswrapper -l
    giving
    wlanuzg: Driver installed
    device (0803:4410) present
    Then i did:
    ndiswrapper -m (followed by >) ndiswrapper -ma (followed by >) ndiswrapper -mi
    Then I did:

modprobe ndiswrapper
    slight pause.. then didnt get any readouts or anything, is this normal?

Then I did
    depmod -a
    slight pause again... then no readout or messages again.

Then I did:

iwconfig
    giving
    lo no wireless extensions.
    eth0 no wireless extensions.
    same as before. What am I doing wrong?

Linux Guru
    Did you try rebooting to see if the wireless appeared?

Some Linux distros need to have a network card configured, before it will work. I don't know anything about Arch, so reed9 is going to have to help with that.
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.

Just Joined!
    Aaaah! reboot sorted it out. So the procedure (for anyone who comes across this post with the same problem) is how it was outlined in my last post, including the ndiswrapper -m, ndiswrapper -ma, ndiswrapper -mi, modprobe ndiswrapper and depmod -a, then adding ndiswrapper to the modules line in /etc/rc.conf, followed by a reboot, then iwconfig and wlan0 appears.

Final question, can someone explain what the modprobe does and what the depmod -a command does? (don't learn if you don't ask questions).

Thanks so much everyone who contributed to this post, going to see if I can get the wiki edited so there is a clear and concise section that says "HOW TO INSTALL YOUR WINDOWS DRIVER USING NDISWRAPPER" in big bold letters :P.

Thanks again everyone, really helpful,
    Scott.

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottWilson1990 View Post
    Final question, can someone explain what the modprobe does and what the depmod -a command does? (don't learn if you don't ask questions).
    I don't mean to be rude, but RTFM.
    Actually, read the man pages:
    Code:
    man depmod
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.

Just Joined!
    Lol thanks waterhead, sometimes us noobs just have to be told I guess :P. I do tend to read most of the documentation before consulting the forum as a last resort though.

Thanks again,
    Scott.

Linux Guru
    I know that the man pages are sometimes difficult to wrap your head around. We are still here to answer any question you have.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2