Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
The BIOS errors are still there....
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Guru

The BIOS errors are still there.
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.

Just Joined!
    Yes....
    It means theres no hope?

Linux Guru
    You force me to repeat myself!

1) Update the BIOS
    2) Try a USB wireless (no guarantee it will work)
    3) Get a different PC to use Linux on.
    4) Run Linux as a virtual system, with Windows as the host.
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.

Just Joined!
    Ok, I was seeing if I can pass those parts.
    Althought, I'm going try to update, if that doesn't work, install the virtualbox (but I doubt my machine can't handle this one) and hope that works.

Just Joined!
    The update to 9.10 is made and nothing changes, like you said.
    I was thinking and the question is this:
    It's possible that could exists another version of ubuntu (8.04, 8.10, etc.) which could recognize the card?
    Our exists another type of linux (mandriva, debian, etc.) that could support the card? (even if it's more difficult, what matters is that had the drivers)

Linux Guru
    This is not a case of Linux not supporting your wireless card. This is a case where there is a problem with your computer, and Linux is unable to overcome the problem. And the problem seems to be the way the BIOS handles the IRQ assignments. I don't know why Windows doesn't have a similar problem. Reed9 has already said to check the BIOS settings for an OS setting.

I can not offer any more help, unless something changes. So I consider this case closed, and will not spend any more time on it.

Just Joined!
    Ok,
    nevertheless thank you for all your help.

Just Joined!

writing from wifi

hello all,
    I have a very similar laptop: Packard Bell EasyNote R, running now Ubuntu 10.4 with a running wifi.
    After reading this thread, as the wifi was not working, I tryed as suggested to update the BIOS but that didn't help.
    I got it working now adding these options to the kernel boot parameters, as the BIOS really seems screwed about these:
    Code:
    acpi=force irqpoll noapictimer
    after that simply typing
    Code:
    modprobe ath5k
    was enough to have the wifi networks show up in NetworkManager.

So I don't know if the BIOS update was a required step (I won't undo that to find out ) , but you might try to use the same parameters it could fix this.

Just Joined!

Just to say...

I registered to this site just to say.... THANK YOU!!!
    Sanne's solution worked with me and a Easynote 1010R. I was giving up when I found this post, and your solution!!

this is my new DMESG:
    Code:
    [   18.467640] ath5k 0000:00:06.0: enabling device (0000 -> 0002)
    [   18.467657]   alloc irq_desc for 19 on node -1
    [   18.467661]   alloc kstat_irqs on node -1
    [   18.467674] ath5k 0000:00:06.0: PCI INT A -> GSI 19 (level, low) -> IRQ 19
    [   18.467739] ath5k 0000:00:06.0: registered as 'phy0'
    [   19.161996] EXT4-fs (sda5): mounted filesystem with ordered data mode
    [   19.441902] Synaptics Touchpad, model: 1, fw: 5.9, id: 0xf6eb3, caps: 0xa04713/0x0
    [   19.442806] Console: switching to colour frame buffer device 80x30
    [   19.552562] input: SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad as /devices/platform/i8042/serio3/input/input6
    [   19.572471] ath: EEPROM regdomain: 0x64
    [   19.572477] ath: EEPROM indicates we should expect a direct regpair map
    [   19.572485] ath: Country alpha2 being used: 00
    [   19.572488] ath: Regpair used: 0x64
    [   20.153196] phy0: Selected rate control algorithm 'minstrel'
    [   20.154188] ath5k phy0: Atheros AR2413 chip found (MAC: 0x78, PHY: 0x45)'
    ciao ciao

Simone

Just Joined!

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by sanne View Post
    hello all,
    I have a very similar laptop: Packard Bell EasyNote R, running now Ubuntu 10.4 with a running wifi.
    After reading this thread, as the wifi was not working, I tryed as suggested to update the BIOS but that didn't help.
    I got it working now adding these options to the kernel boot parameters, as the BIOS really seems screwed about these:
    Code:
    acpi=force irqpoll noapictimer
    after that simply typing
    Code:
    modprobe ath5k
    was enough to have the wifi networks show up in NetworkManager.

So I don't know if the BIOS update was a required step (I won't undo that to find out ) , but you might try to use the same parameters it could fix this.
    Big Thank You Sanne - for this little gem!

Bios maxed out does not fix it - no changes possible in the bios to fix it - it all pionted to booting paramaters - and then you shoed up after days of googling!

Have been working to resurect an 0ld Packard Bell Easynote R1910, which was useless without wireless! the Boot with "acpi=force irqpoll noapictimer" did it first time when all else had failed.

It seems that there is an ongoing issue with wireless an the Packard Bell R series laptops, and many have failed where you have been a champ!

To make it easier for the Google Bots - Ubuntu - Xubuntu - Lubuntu - Linux - Atheros AR5001X - Wireless - SOLVED!

Like Simone before me - had to join up to just say A Big Thanks!

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast