Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
One of the helpful folks on an Ubuntu forum thread had posted the older version of the driver as an attachment to a post wherein he indicated that there appear ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

One of the helpful folks on an Ubuntu forum thread had posted the older version of the driver as an attachment to a post wherein he indicated that there appear to be some issues with the Feb. 2010 release of the driver. As I'm too new here to post either links or attachments, I'm unable to provide a direct link.

Here's the best I can do:
    Code:
    newyork.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1419504&page=2
    It is listed about halfway down the page.

Cheers,
    -R

Linux Guru
    Thanks, I'll post a link to that thread for you:

[ubuntu] Help needed with ASUS USB-N13 Wireless Network Adapter - Page 2 - Ubuntu Forums

I uploaded it to LinuxForums, and now you can download it with the link below.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by waterhead; 03-07-2010 at 07:25 AM.
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.

Linux Guru
    There is definitely something wrong with the latest driver. I did a search on the dmesg errors and came up with an old post from LinuxQuestions (2004) with the exact same errors.

modprobe -> Unknown symbol in module - LinuxQuestions.org

Poster said they solved it by building in USB support? Don't know what that means.
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    I think that I have a solution to the problem with the latest Ralink RT3070USB driver (RT3070_LinuxSTA_V2.3.0.1_20100208).

The first error that I was seeing is this:
    Code:
    WARNING: modpost: missing MODULE_LICENSE() in /media/disk/RT3070_LinuxSTA_V2.3.0.1_20100208/os/linux/rt3070sta.o
    see include/linux/module.h for more information
    I compared the two driver versions. The device ID's are now in usb_main_dev.c, but in rtusb_dev_id.c instead. I did notice that the newer version of usb_main_dev.c was missing the MODULE-LICENSE line. I added it, and the module compiled and loaded without errors!

Here is what you need to do:

Open this file in a text editor

/RT3070_LinuxSTA_V2.3.0.1_20100208/os/linux/usb_main_dev.c

Change this:
    Code:
    #include "rt_config.h"

// Following information will be show when you run 'modinfo'
    // *** If you have a solution for the bug in current version of driver, please mail to me.
    // Otherwise post to forum in ralinktech's web site(www.ralinktech.com) and let all users help you. ***
    MODULE_AUTHOR("Paul Lin <paul_lin@ralinktech.com>");
    MODULE_DESCRIPTION("RT2870 Wireless Lan Linux Driver");
    #ifdef CONFIG_STA_SUPPORT
    #ifdef MODULE_VERSION
    MODULE_VERSION(STA_DRIVER_VERSION);
    #endif
    #endif // CONFIG_STA_SUPPORT //
    To this:
    Code:
    #include "rt_config.h"

// Following information will be show when you run 'modinfo'
    // *** If you have a solution for the bug in current version of driver, please mail to me.
    // Otherwise post to forum in ralinktech's web site(www.ralinktech.com) and let all users help you. ***
    MODULE_AUTHOR("Paul Lin <paul_lin@ralinktech.com>");
    MODULE_DESCRIPTION("RT2870 Wireless Lan Linux Driver");
    MODULE_LICENSE("GPL");
    #ifdef CONFIG_STA_SUPPORT
    #ifdef MODULE_VERSION
    MODULE_VERSION(STA_DRIVER_VERSION);
    #endif
    #endif // CONFIG_STA_SUPPORT //
    You are adding the 'MODULE_LICENSE("GPL");' line, that is highlighted in red. Recompile the driver and load it. Let me know if it now works for you.

Linux Guru
    OK, I compiled RT3070USB version 2.0.3.1 on a Ubuntu 9.10 install. I had to first modify the /os/linux/usb_main_dev.c file and add the MODULE_LICENSE("GPL") line, as I said in my last post.

I also had to change the names of these two files:

RT2870STA.dat
    RT2870STACard.dat

To this:

RT3070STA.dat
    RT3070STACard.dat

I then compiled the driver. I also blacklisted these modules, as they are loading but the wireless won't work with them:

rt2800usb
    rt2x00usb
    rt2x00lib

I then rebooted. My USB wireless with the rt3070 chip is working, and I am writing this with that connection. The modinfo rt3070sta command says I am using this version:
    Code:
    modinfo rt3070sta
    filename:       /lib/modules/2.6.31-19-generic/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/rt3070sta.ko
    version:        2.3.0.0
    But I know that I used the 2.3.0.1 source files.

I hope others will try this to see if it truly is a fix for the problem.
    Last edited by waterhead; 03-13-2010 at 07:19 PM.

Just Joined!
    I got the newest version to compile as per your instructions and modinfo rt3070sta comes back nearly the same as yours. It would seem the next step is to set up the network connection.
    I tried to follow the instructions you posted a while ago but I wasn't sure which ethernet adapter to select.

pete.

Linux Guru
    I don't recall what distro/version you are using, please remind me. Also, what are the choices that you are given for the network connection?

Just Joined!
    2.6.31.12-174.2.19.fc12.i686

There are about 30-40 network adapters listed but I was unable to copy and paste them.

pete

Linux Guru
    In Fedora, you need to configure a new network device. Open the 'Network' program, found in the menu. Or start it with this command:
    Code:
    su -c 'system-config-network'
    On the first tab 'Devices', click on the wireless device, then the 'Edit' option above it. If there is no wireless device listed, then the driver isn't working properly.

After clicking 'Edit', then on the first tab named 'General', use these settings

Check "Controlled by NetworkManager"
    Uncheck "Activate device when computer starts"
    Check "Allow all users to enable and disable the device"
    Select: Automatically obyain IP address settings with: dhcp
    Check "Automatically obtain DNS information from provider.

Reboot, and see if you can use NetworkManager to connect to a wireless network. It is found in the taskbar, next to the Date/Time.

Just Joined!
    Probably still a problem with the driver.
    After I make and make install, are there any other instructions prior to reboot?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast