Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi. Has anyone ever tried using a Wireless Card under Linux running on a computer with a Sun SPARC processor? I decided to toy around with this to see if ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Anyone Had Any Experience w/Wireless Card On SPARC???

Hi.

Has anyone ever tried using a Wireless Card under Linux running on a computer with a Sun SPARC processor?

I decided to toy around with this to see if I could get anything to happen. I have a card with a Realtek RTL8185 chip, and tried compiling the driver and using it. The light on the card comes on (flashing), but it aways gives a signal strength of "0/100" and I get this message "no more TX desc" again and again and again on the console. What does that mean?

I also noticed that in order to compile the driver, I had to comment out (heard this on some post on another forum about a compile error I had been getting) a line referencing "rdtsc_rtl" routine, which looks to have been defined with some bit of X86 assembler ("rdtsc" was the only opcode.).

Do _any_ wireless cards work on (GNU/)Linux under SPARC? If so, what are they?

P.S. The distribution I'm using is Debian GNU/Linux 5.0.4.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    What a great question! Unfortunately, I don't know the answer to this. I imagine some of the hardwire ethernet cards might work, but if you had to comment out some x86 assembler code in the kernel to get it to compile, I suspect you are SOL since that undoubtedly did something important with regard to talking to the network card. If you know what the assembler was doing, you might be able to replace it with the equivalent sparc assembler code. Although I have done some kernel module porting of Solaris sparc code to Solaris x86, there wasn't any assembler associated, so I don't know enough to do more than suggest this.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    Never mind, I got it to work now using a driver in the latest kernel release.

As for the other, I found out what the code did (it itself, not what it was _needed_ for) (apparently it was to get some sort of CPU cycle count like a clock), and found a Sparc equivalent, but the difficulty here was the equivalent on the Sparc returns a wide 64 bit value, but this bit (a macro called "rdtsc_rtl"), returns two 32-bit high/low halves. So I wasn't sure what to do, nor how to make sure the compiler would compile the 64 bit code properly.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Well, you learned 2 things here. 1 - Usually an update will fix the problem. 2 - You gained some insight into the functioning of the system. Sounds like a win-win (as opposed to a windows-nowin) situation to me!
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!