Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hi. I'm trying to setup mobile broadband on my newly installed centos but so far had no luck and i've only been a Linux user for about a week and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Mobile broadband on centos 5.4

Hi.
    I'm trying to setup mobile broadband on my newly installed centos but so far had no luck and i've only been a Linux user for about a week and half.

It would be great if someone can show me how i can setup mobile broadband on centos.

I've attached a file below containing some information.
    Attached Files Attached Files

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Good question. I have CentOS 5.4 and a Sierra Wireless (Sprint) USB broadband modem which works without any problems at all on my Ubuntu 9.04 laptops. However, I haven't got it to work yet on CentOS. I need to re-read the Sprint instructions on getting it to work on generic Linux systems. I know that it is recognized by the OS when I plug it in, but it doesn't create a USB tty device so I can't use the standard network setup tools to get it to work. I'll look into this some more and let you know if I find anything out. I presume your device is a USB modem?
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Linux Guru
    Most likely the needed driver isn't compiled into the CentOS kernel. Since it uses such an old kernel, I doubt if it can be added. But, if you can identify the driver it uses you can try.

Also, newer releases of Linux distros have a version of NetworkManager that supports WWAN cards/connections. I don't know if the CentOS version does. If not, you would have to set up the connection using wvdial.
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.

Linux Guru
    OK, I did a little research on this. It looks like you have this card:

ID 19d2:0031 ONDA Communication S.p.A. ZTE MF636

It uses the option driver. On my Ubuntu 9.04 install, it is listed as being supported:
    Code:
    paul@eeepc:~$ modinfo option
    filename:       /lib/modules/2.6.28-18-generic/kernel/drivers/usb/serial/option.ko
    license:        GPL
    version:        v0.7.2
    description:    USB Driver for GSM modems
    author:         Matthias Urlichs <smurf@smurf.noris.de>
    srcversion:     83E46A71778ADB82A29B074
    alias:          usb:v1DA5p4515d*dc*dsc*dp*ic*isc*ip*
    alias:          usb:v04A5p4068d*dc*dsc*dp*ic*isc*ip*
    alias:          usb:v19D2pFFFEd*dc*dsc*dp*ic*isc*ip*
    alias:          usb:v19D2p0015d*dc*dsc*dp*ic*isc*ip*
    alias:          usb:v19D2p0031d*dc*dsc*dp*ic*isc*ip*

<snip>

depends:        usbserial
    vermagic:       2.6.28-18-generic SMP mod_unload modversions 586 
    parm:           debug:Debug messages (bool)
    There did seem to be a problem with it being recognized as a virtual CD device. Most of the info on this is older, and may no longer be relevant. It is showing up with the modem ID, and not the virtual CD ID. But since CentOS uses an older kernel, you may need this info:

Telstra Pre-Paid Wireless Broadband Ubuntu Matt Barrett

You may want to get it working in Ubuntu first, as that would be easier. Then take that information to your CentOS install.

EDIT: There is an application to enable/disable the virtual CD ROM that is on your device. You may need to install and use it on CentOS:

Draisberghof - Software - USB_ModeSwitch
    Last edited by waterhead; 03-07-2010 at 01:48 PM.
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    As I mentioned Waterhead, recent Ubuntu distributions seem to handle mobile broadband devices pretty well. CentOS 5 is based on a 2.6.18 kernel and it doesn't seem to support them. The device is recognized as a USB device, but lsusb indicates that there is no driver associated with it. As a result, there isn't any /dev/ttyUSB type registered, which is what would be required for something like wvdial or other PPP support software to work with it. Anyway, more research is needed to determine how to get these dongles to work w/ CentOS. I wouldn't mind having mine available as a backup for cases when my DSL link goes down, such as after a severe thunderstorm or tornado (we do get those here in the mid-west USA). At least I can use it with my Ubuntu laptops, and it works just fine on my wife's P4 Macbook Pro.

Linux Guru
    I seem to recall that you could load the option driver along with the device ID of the modem. This may be what you need to do, assuming that your kernel has the option driver.

Linux Guru
    To correct myself, it is the usbserial module where you can specify the vendor ID's. It is loaded along with the option module:
    Code:
    paul@eeepc:~$ modinfo usbserial
    filename:       /lib/modules/2.6.28-18-generic/kernel/drivers/usb/serial/usbserial.ko
    license:        GPL
    description:    USB Serial Driver core
    author:         Greg Kroah-Hartman, greg@kroah.com, http://www.kroah.com/linux/
    srcversion:     75E4D83C8541FAC130F1B5E
    depends:        
    vermagic:       2.6.28-18-generic SMP mod_unload modversions 586 
    parm:           vendor:User specified USB idVendor (ushort)
    parm:           product:User specified USB idProduct (ushort)
    parm:           debug:Debug enabled or not (bool)
    I'm not sure how to associate the option driver to the modem. Maybe it all will just magically work itself out!

Linux Guru
    qm411:

It seems that a package can be installed that will update the driver to support your modem. You first would need to enable the ELRepo repository:

ELRepo : HomePage

You then would install the needed module:
    Code:
    su -c 'yum install kmod-option'
    I got this info from here:

https://www.centos.org/modules/newbb...forumpost94499
    0000044: The current kmod-option does not have support for 19d2:0031 - Mantis

Rubberman:

I'm not sure what module your modem uses, so your fix may be different.

Thanks waterhead. That's all helpful info. I/We appreciate your time to dig this up.

Linux Guru
    I never knew about the ELRepo repository. It looks to have quite a few device drivers available, especially for wireless WLAN/WWAN devices. This may come in handy in the future.

I have been struggling with my own WWAN card. I got a used Verizon/Lenovo card and put it in my Zotac netbook. Verizon wanted me to use their windows app to do the first connection. I even installed widows to do this, but the Lenovo windows driver wouldn't work because I wasn't using a Lenovo laptop!

I did get it working in Linux. The first thing that I noticed was that it didn't seem to register any usage. My usage always remained at zero! No problem, right? Well, I'll bet Verizon didn't like it. After two months the connection stopped working, it seemed to connect but it would now ask for a password. The Verizon tech said that was because my modem wasn't working properly. Yea, sure!

Well, I was able to cancel my Verizon account without a penalty. I now have an ATT/Cingular card to try. It uses a SIM card, but my netbook doesn't have a SIM card holder. No problem! There is a place for one on the mobo, so I purchased one from ebay. I just need to find the time to solder it on.

Sorry for the long story.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast