Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I am looking for a 802.11a/g USB wireless adapter that is based on atheros chipset and is compatible with a 2.4 kernel. Can someone please give me suggestions on ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Linux 2.4 kernel compatible USB wireless adapter with an atheros chipset?

Hi,

I am looking for a 802.11a/g USB wireless adapter that is based on atheros chipset and is compatible with a 2.4 kernel. Can someone please give me suggestions on the model/vendors that I should be looking at? You help is appreciated!

Linux Guru
    If you really need wireless, I would recommend switching to a modern kernel. But you cannot install a modern kernel on an older Linux distro.

Are you using an older kernel, or the newest available from kernel.org? The drivers in the kernel are few, you can see them here:

git.kernel.org - linux/kernel/git/stable/linux-2.4.37.y.git/tree - drivers/net/wireless/

You can then compare that list to the current list of available drivers, found here:

Drivers - Linux Wireless

This won't give you a list of working wireless cards, just a list of chips that may work. You can then narrow your search to cards containing those chips. This may be difficult, as the chips inside of a wireless card are not usually disclosed by the manufacturer.

Edit: Since you are limiting yourself to USB cards, your pickings may be even slimmer. I doubt that you will find much, but possibly the prism54 driver may cover a USB chip.
    Last edited by waterhead; 03-04-2010 at 11:38 AM.
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.