Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
I am new to Mandriva myself, so I am unfamiliar with how to do things. I was just checking, and it looks like the rt2870 driver is installable from the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Guru

I am new to Mandriva myself, so I am unfamiliar with how to do things.

I was just checking, and it looks like the rt2870 driver is installable from the Mandriva repositories! Open the "Install & Remove Software" choice in the main menu. In the "Find" box put: rt2870.

Now, I see several versions of the driver available. I don't really know which one is the best one to install.

dkms-rt2870
    rt2870-firmware (same as what you manually installed?)
    rt2870-kernel-desktop-latest
    rt2870-kernel-desktop586-latest
    rt2870-kernel-server-latest (you don't have this kernel)

When I check each package for 'Files' details all but the first one are empty. This leads me to believe that the dkms-rt2870 package is the one to install. So I installed it on my system.

I now have that driver, but checking it with the 'modinfo' command, I don't see your card listed in the PCI ID list. To use this card/driver you would have to download the driver source from Ralink, and modify it to add your wireless card to the pciid list. This was covered in the Ubuntu link that reed9 gave you. It isn't really something that a Linux newbie would want to try, but if you want to it's up to you.
    Last edited by waterhead; 03-06-2010 at 06:04 PM.
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.

Just Joined!
    I've been reading what they did in the ubunto forum I'll give it a try tomorow I think I have to do it
    and then I'll say how it wen
    thx for all the help until now I apreciate

Just a quick question for Waterhead....what about all the other Wireless modules that are loaded? In his first post he seems to have ath5k, b44 and others not including the rt28xx modules. Isn't that usually a problem and they need to be blacklisted?
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Linux Guru
    I've been reading what they did in the ubunto forum I'll give it a try tomorow I think I have to do it
    and then I'll say how it wen
    thx for all the help until now I apreciate
    I actually just did that on my Mandriva install. You may need to install a few programs first, as I had things installed for another project.

kernel source
    kernel headers
    gcc
    make

I don't have a card that uses the rt2870sta driver, but I loaded it anyway. I do have a card that uses the rt3070sta driver, so I plugged that in. When I tried to configure it in the MCC, I got an error similar to the one you got. I removed the rt2870sta driver, and the system then loaded the rt3070sta driver. I now was able to configure the card in the MCC. I don't know how this may apply to your problem, but it did seem to be similar.
    Last edited by waterhead; 03-06-2010 at 09:27 PM.
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeTbob View Post
    Just a quick question for Waterhead....what about all the other Wireless modules that are loaded? In his first post he seems to have ath5k, b44 and others not including the rt28xx modules. Isn't that usually a problem and they need to be blacklisted?
    I originally suspected that. But after I successfully loaded my rt3070sta driver, I still had the ath9k driver loaded too. Both cards seemed to be active and connected at the same time.

Of course, I am talking about the proprietary Ralink drivers. The open-source driver was the one he was having trouble with.

I did run across a post somewhere, where the poster said his wireless on/off switch affected his USB wireless too. Not sure if that could be the case here too, since it is broken.

Just Joined!
    The programs that I needed to instal I alredy Had them

And drivers i have dkms-rt2870 package, and the rt2870 firmware( the one I instaled manualy) and it shows me In the list the rt2860 firmwRe that is not instaled

i have a question, in the mcc wen I try to configure it askes me for the rt2800usb , then I slould blacklist the rt2870 and try to see if works?

Linux Guru
    The dkms-rt2870 won't work because your wireless is not yet supported by that driver. That is why you have to modify the driver source, and add your card to the list of supported cards. I would uninstall the dkms-rt2870 package. You could try installing the firmware that they provide, but first remove the firmware that you manually installed. You don't want two versions of the firmware. Then reboot and check the wireless again.

I don't believe you need to blacklist the rt2870sta diver, because I don't think that it is loading. You can look for it in the output of lsmod.

Just in case the ath5k driver is interfering, you can temporarily blacklist it. Then reboot again and see if there is any improvement.

Otherwise, you will need to get the rt2870sta driver source from Ralink, modify it to include your wireless, and build it. You will then need to blacklist the rt2800usb driver before the rt2870sta driver will work.

Just Joined!
    In the lsmod it shows me up that the rt2800usb is loading up

wen I try to open the blacklist.conf with kwrite it gives me an error and kwrite shutsdown, can I use vi to modify the blacklist.conf?

Linux Guru
    The rt2800usb module is the one needed if you wanted to try the firmware from the Mandriva repository.

Otherwise, when you install the modified rt2870sta driver, you would then need to blacklist the rt2800usb module.

To edit most files outside of your home directory, you need to have root permissions. I am not sure of the best way to do this in Mandriva, but running vi with root permissions would be a good way.
    Code:
    su -c 'vi /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf'
    Or just first gain root permissions with the su command, then start vi.

Just Joined!
    I have the rt2870 to make the module but is in tar.tar.bz2 how do i unzip this do y know?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast