Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
The easy way? Right-click on it, there should be an option to unpack or uncompress the archive, or whatever Mandriva refers to it as. The other method is to use ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Guru

The easy way? Right-click on it, there should be an option to unpack or uncompress the archive, or whatever Mandriva refers to it as.

The other method is to use the terminal, cd to the folder the driver is in. Then unpack it with the tar command:
    Code:
    tar xvfj RT2870_LinuxSTA_V2.3.0.0.tar.tar.bz2
    Hint: If you type the beginning of the file name (RT), then hit the tab key, it will fill in the file name automatically.
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.

Just Joined!
    Code:
    Thx, I was trying with the tar but was writing a- before now I've got it
    (for the time I was waiting I did it the easy way to do the rest)

I've changed what I needed but wen I do make in the folder from the rt2870 drive it gives me an error

make c-tools
    make [1]: going in the dierectory 
    '/home/jd/RT2870_linuxSTA_V2.3.0.0/tools'

gcc -g bin2h.c -o bin2h 
    make[1] : going out from directory '/home/jd/RT2870_linuxSTA_V2.3.0.0/tools'
    '/home/jd/RT2870_linuxSTA_V2.3.0.0/tools/bin2h
    cp -f os/linux/makefile.6 /'/home/jd/RT2870_linuxSTA_V2.3.0.0/os/Linux/makefile 
    make -c /lib / modules/2.6.31.5-desktop586-1mnb/build SUBDIRS = '/home/jd/RT2870_linuxSTA_V2.3.0.0/os/Linux modules
    make: *** /lib / modules/2.6.31.5-desktop586-1mnb/build: file or directory wasent found .stop
    make ** [Linux] error 2
    can it be because I must have the rt2870 folder in de desktop?

And the make install gives me also a big error
    saying kind of the same saying it can't found the folders and can't instal the rt2870sta.ko
    I can post the out put

Linux Guru
    It is erroring on this line:
    Code:
    make: *** /lib / modules/2.6.31.5-desktop586-1mnb/build: file or directory wasent found .stop
    The /build directory is actually a link to the kernel headers. You must not have the kernel headers installed. Try this command to install the kernel headers.
    Code:
    su -c '/usr/sbin/urpmi kernel-desktop-devel-latest'
    Now try to build the driver again.

If the make part fails, you can't install it either.
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.

Just Joined!
    I alredy had it installed but it doesent go anyway,
    I'll try to do the module again to see if I did something wrongue

Linux Guru
    The error is pretty clear, it isn't finding the /build folder. Open the Add Software program, and do a search for this:

kernel-desktop-devel

Try to find one that closely matches your kernel version. Heck, install them all if you have to!

Linux Guru
    On second thought, maybe it is the kernel souce that you need to install. I am not on my Mandriva PC right now, so I can't give you the exact name of the package.

Linux Guru
    You have a different kernel installed than I do. To install the kernel headers for your kernel, try this
    command
    Code:
    su -c '/usr/sbin/urpmi kernel-desktop586-devel-latest'
    To install the kernel source, try this command:
    Code:
    su -c '/usr/sbin/urpmi kernel-source-latest'

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3