Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, I've forgotten the passphrase for a WPA Personal protected wifi network, and I can't access the router frontend. I use wpa_supplicant to achieve this on a Debian box, so ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Recover (decrypt) WPA passphrase from the 64bit hash

Hello,

I've forgotten the passphrase for a WPA Personal protected wifi network, and I can't access the router frontend.

I use wpa_supplicant to achieve this on a Debian box, so all that I see in its configuration file is the 64bit length hash encrypted via wpa_passphrase (it computes the hash combinig the essid and the original passphrase).

Is there any way to, even better, does it exist an algorithm to decrypt a hash into the passphrase?

Thank you...

Linux Newbie
    The router should have a reset button, probably on the back. They are often red. I won't answer your question as written. Kurt

Just Joined!
    They are often red
    I pricked that little colored button.

But, it's impossible, right?

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by jordi View Post
    I pricked that little colored button.

But, it's impossible, right?
    The reset button didn't work?

I don't understand the purpose of your question. You might ask our mutual friend, Mr. Google.

Just Joined!
    I don't understand the purpose of your question
    The purpose of the question is to learn if that encryption can be inverted, so decrypted. I solved the problem easily, you know, but Google make no clear explanations about this concern to me.

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by jordi View Post
    The purpose of the question is to learn if that encryption can be inverted, so decrypted. I solved the problem easily, you know, but Google make no clear explanations about this concern to me.
    The answer is that it can be done, provided that radius is not used. Check out the Back Track or Aircrack-ng forms for more on this subject.

Just Joined!
    I use that against WEP when some key is lost. Uh-uh.

Thanks kurtdriver!!

Linux Newbie
    I don't know Debian or Kde, but Gnome's network Manager makes reading the stored key quite easy.. Just click the checkbox at the bottom. I can't imagine kde not being similar.
    You are asking about the hardest way of doing it, assuming you have access to the router. WEP? I thought it was WPA?

Were this real it would have shown in the space mark private key password.