Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Originally Posted by rokytnji Try changing Under External Programs tab dhclient instead of Automatic . PS. Don't forget to hit refreash after enabling dhclient. . K. I retried that, this ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Wicd Unscripted.....

Quote Originally Posted by rokytnji View Post
    Try changing Under External Programs tab dhclient instead of Automatic .

PS. Don't forget to hit refreash after enabling dhclient.
    K. I retried that, this time I set it that way for both wired and wireless. Refreshed, no go.

I do have a space to write a few scripts, but I'd like to get it to autodetect and if we wind up writig / testing a new script, we need to put it in the /ect/networks/ ~~ and submit it to nelson as an update.

thanks!

Well then. You might try just to test. As root user in terminal. (This is for Land line eth0. For wireless I guess you would use/substitute eth0 for wlan0 or whatever is used by your OS like ath0,eth1,wlan1, whatever)

Code:
    ifdown -a
    hit enter. then type

Code:
    iwconfig eth0 ESSID "NameOfNetwork"
    hit enter. Then type

Code:
    ifup eth0
    hit enter then type

Code:
    dhclient eth0
    assuming you still have it/wicd set on dhclient.

If it connects. Look in wicd and see if your router is shown (if it is. Check the box that says automatically connect to this network). Then reboot and see if things get saved or not. That is all I can think of for right now.
    What version of wicd are you using any hows?
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Linux Newbie

No Fire In My Wire ??...

steve@SteveWilliams:~$ su
    Password:
    root@SteveWilliams:/home/steve# ifdown -a
    /etc/network/interfaces:1: misplaced option
    ifdown: couldn't read interfaces file "/etc/network/interfaces"
    root@SteveWilliams:/home/steve#

WiCD v. 1.7 /// Debian Squeeze.

How do I see if my Router is shown ? I see the routers ip addy at the bottom of the WiCD Screen where it says "Connected To Steve @ 192.168.2.3 -5dBM [more crap here]"

Is there a Command that detects my router make & model ?

Is there a means to turn this into a distro upgrade ? I think it is just nuts I can write the Commands in and it will work [wired does not], but it wont catch on fire AutoMagically.

/etc/network/interfaces Contents:

## Lines 2 & 3 eliminate slowed shutdown

pre-up /sbin/ifconfig eth0 up
    pre-up /sbin/ifconfig eth1 up
    auto lo
    iface lo inet loopback

Thank You !

Apt-get upgrade Output:

cility `$all' which can not be true!
    insserv: Starting laptop_detect.rb depends on stop-bootlogd-single and therefore on system facility `$all' which can not be true!
    insserv: Starting setup_desktopapps.rb depends on laptop-mode and therefore on system facility `$all' which can not be true!
    insserv: Starting linkcdrom.rb depends on laptop-mode and therefore on system facility `$all' which can not be true!
    insserv: Starting laptop_detect.rb depends on stop-bootlogd-single and therefore on system facility `$all' which can not be true!
    insserv: Starting setup_desktopapps.rb depends on laptop-mode and therefore on system facility `$all' which can not be true!
    insserv: Starting linkcdrom.rb depends on laptop-mode and therefore on system facility `$all' which can not be true!
    insserv: can not symlink(../init.d/wicd, ../rc0.d/K01wicd): File exists
    insserv: can not symlink(../init.d/wicd, ../rc1.d/K01wicd): File exists
    insserv: can not symlink(../init.d/wicd, ../rc2.d/S23wicd): File exists
    insserv: can not symlink(../init.d/wicd, ../rc3.d/S23wicd): File exists
    insserv: can not symlink(../init.d/wicd, ../rc4.d/S23wicd): File exists
    insserv: can not symlink(../init.d/wicd, ../rc5.d/S23wicd): File exists
    insserv: can not symlink(../init.d/wicd, ../rc6.d/K01wicd): File exists
    Setting up libcurl3 (7.20.0-1) ...
    Setting up libcurl3-gnutls (7.20.0-1) ...
    Setting up xdg-utils (1.0.2+cvs20100307-1) ...
    root@SteveWilliams:/home/steve#
    Last edited by SA.com; 03-18-2010 at 07:01 AM. Reason: WiCd v. comment. Added /etc/network/ comment @1:03 am, added Terminal Output @ 2:03 am

Linux Newbie

Open Letter to Nelson Gomes, DreamLinux Distro Designer....

Nelson, GDA

Hi!

I'm testing DreamLinux 4.0 Alpha on a eMachines E625 [built in 2008, purchased new about 4 months ago] hooked up to a Belkin F5D7234-4 v.5 Router and there seems to be an issue with it automatically connecting to my "steve" Network. WiCD sees it, and says it is connected to it, including on the Network Manager Screen & The Tray Icon. The XFCE Weather Plug in is working while connected to >> "steve". Yet to get it to run right [connct to the internet], I need to type in the DNS1 &b DNS2 settings manually / by hand. When I do, it works great! It is fast and works slick as a button. But the wired connction wont work no matter what I try, even if I type in the DNS1 & DNS2 settings from the keyboard. I spoke to Belkin Tech Support and the belkin retard said linux doesn't support belkin. Which seems a pretty stupid thing to say. Notice he did not say that belkin does not support linux. Yet I have it set up and running, I just cant get it to auto detect. BTW: When the the belkin retards boss had me reset the router back to factory defaults, it stopped working completely, but still works fine in Windows 7 Enterprise. Unplugging the router and just plugging in the modem does not give me wired either. The pan0 and wan0 are seen and lspci gives me the right stuff, but there seems to be a DISCONNECT between the Wicd and the actual driver / router or similar. /ect/network/interfaces tends to give me a nag screen at times In Terminal. [if down command, more on this in the linux forums.org/ wicd - the troll on a roll]. Resa helped me with a shutdown script that is something like lo loopback, but sometimes the file won't save because of the /etc/network/interfaces file returns an error. I have asked for some help in writing a detection script for submission to the dreamlinux project, but thus far, no replies.
    The NetGear Router accross the street auto connects with no issues. ~ I'm not requesting support here. I just desire to make you aware of the issue. Thank You!

Portugese v.:

Nelson, GDA

Thank You!
    Last edited by oz; 03-19-2010 at 11:14 PM. Reason: removed non-english portion of post - please see forum rules

root@SteveWilliams:/home/steve# ifdown -a
    /etc/network/interfaces:1: misplaced option
    ifdown: couldn't read interfaces file "/etc/network/interfaces"
    Weird. I don't know what is up with that.

nsserv: can not symlink(../init.d/wicd, ../rc0.d/K01wicd): File exists
    insserv: can not symlink(../init.d/wicd, ../rc1.d/K01wicd): File exists
    insserv: can not symlink(../init.d/wicd, ../rc2.d/S23wicd): File exists
    insserv: can not symlink(../init.d/wicd, ../rc3.d/S23wicd): File exists
    insserv: can not symlink(../init.d/wicd, ../rc4.d/S23wicd): File exists
    insserv: can not symlink(../init.d/wicd, ../rc5.d/S23wicd): File exists
    insserv: can not symlink(../init.d/wicd, ../rc6.d/K01wicd): File exists
    Same goes for that. This is outa my skill set. Wicd 1.7 is pretty stable by now I think because I run Wicd 1.9 which works for me, The inserv warnings bother me. All I can think of to maybe help is to refer you to my thread when I was getting inserv warnings doing a kernel upgrade using apt-get and smxi. Maybe something in that thread will shed some light, Maybe Not.

Won't hurt to read it as it deals with inserv and wicd.
    antiX-forum • View topic - inserv and iniscript warnings and errors
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Linux Newbie

sudo apt-cache policy wicd ??...

I read it with great interest, No big lightbulbs yet. Perhaps it'll come to me.

steve@SteveWilliams:~$ sudo apt-cache policy wicd
    wicd:
    Installed: 1.7.0+ds1-2
    Candidate: 1.7.0+ds1-2
    Version table:
    *** 1.7.0+ds1-2 0
    500 Index of / squeeze/main Packages
    500 Index of / squeeze/main Packages
    100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
    steve@SteveWilliams:~$

I would suggest going into sysnaptic package manager (if you have it) and do a completely remove wicd, then do a reinstall after all config files have been removed first. But it looks like a Catch 22 for you since you say you have no eth0.
    Which makes that a dead end.
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

since you are using an alpha version, i would expect it to be buggy

Since coopstah13 mentioned you might be dealing with a flaky version of wicd. I thought I would throw you another old post of mine when I had problems with wicd 1.6. So I rolled it back to a previous version of wicd that worked for me.

Here

Edit: when I mention Ceni in the post. That is a Terminal app that is used to connect up as a alternative to wicd. I actually have wicd,ceni,and rutilt
    Last edited by rokytnji; 03-18-2010 at 09:23 PM.
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Linux Newbie

ifup: Can't Read /etc/netwrord/interfaces File.....

I restarted and noted that ifup cannot read the file /etc/network/interfaces Also, when I open Terminal and type:

$sudo scite /etc/network/interfaces > Enter I get a blank file, like I never typed jack **** in the file in the first place.

When I Root FM > FileSystem> /etc/network/interfaces I get:

pre-up /sbin/ifconfig eth0 up
    pre-up /sbin/ifconfig eth1 up
    auto lo
    iface lo inet loopback

Its like I gt two files in there, but I don't.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast