Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Do you have a CD of the latest Ubuntu? Boot into that and see if the LAN is recognized. I am not sure if this is a software or hardware ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Guru

Do you have a CD of the latest Ubuntu? Boot into that and see if the LAN is recognized. I am not sure if this is a software or hardware problem.

It is also possible that windows is leaving it disabled. Power saving options are designed to disable network devices, if they are not being used. If you shut down Windows with it disabled, it just may stay that way.

In Windows, disable all power saving functions. Including the sleep/hibernate options.
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
    No LAN device there either. Something's not right here.

In the BIOS, if there is a Wake -On-LAN option for the network, make sure that it is enabled.

A quick search tells me that this should have an Atheros/Attansic LAN. Possibly with an ID of 1969:1063. This would use the atl1c driver module.
    I downloaded both the l1 and l2 driver and put them in my /opt file. really not sure where to copy & paste them to.

Nope. No mention of network stuff of any sort.

Linux Newbie
    Do you have a CD of the latest Ubuntu? Boot into that and see if the LAN is recognized. I am not sure if this is a software or hardware problem.

It is also possible that windows is leaving it disabled. Power saving options are designed to disable network devices, if they are not being used. If you shut down Windows with it disabled, it just may stay that way.

In Windows, disable all power saving functions. Including the sleep/hibernate options.
    No. I gave my ubuntu cds away. I might still have the old 7.10 around though. I'll try it on both my DreamLinux cd's [3.5 & 4.0 & Il report back.

I'll check the power saving options in Windows too.

brb.

Linux Guru
    I don't believe that this is a driver problem. The l1 and l2 drivers are different than the l1c. If this is the correct driver for your device. You most likely have the drivers in the kernel. They are not loading because no device is detected.

Ubuntu 7.10 is probably too old, and may not have the drivers. But it may still detect the card.
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.

Linux Newbie
    I don't believe that this is a driver problem. The l1 and l2 drivers are different than the l1c. If this is the correct driver for your device. You most likely have the drivers in the kernel. They are not loading because no device is detected.

Ubuntu 7.10 is probably too old, and may not have the drivers. But it may still detect the card.
    Paul

Yes. Some of my drivers ARE in fact in my kernel. I just got lucky that bothe my laptop and distro use the same drivers. That is rare indeed.

I disabled the powersaving options in windows (i'm on it right now) but I have doubts that this is the issue, though I could be wrong.

I tried lspci in deb 5.0, it says exactly the same thing as it does in dreamlinux 4.0. I have not located my ols ubuntu cd yet. I'm thonking I may even have an 8.xx somewhere, but I always have fits getting them to run live.

I better close this out before Windows forces another Update on me. Mine is the Trial version. I get lots of nag screens.

What would happen if I added the AMD 64 Header image ? will that help ? Will it hurt my distro specific dream kernel ?
    Last edited by SA.com; 03-29-2010 at 01:10 AM. Reason: added amd header question....

Linux Newbie
    Also, I get a message that says "interfaces eth0 does not seem to be present on your system". I realise I had mentioned this before, but I cannot seem to locate exactly where this specific file goes, since I suppose I could always create one from scratch, right ?

Message is seen while booting BTW.

Linux Guru
    It means that it can't find the eth0 (aka: wired LAN) device. We already know this.

Are you booting up with the wired LAN cable connected? If not, give that a try. Maybe if it isn't connected it somehow senses this and disables it.

Linux Newbie

Lightbulb

It means that it can't find the eth0 (aka: wired LAN) device. We already know this.

Are you booting up with the wired LAN cable connected? If not, give that a try. Maybe if it isn't connected it somehow senses this and disables it.
    Yes. I leave it connected. I like the wired connection better anyway.

Thank You Paul.

I found my 7.04 & 7.10 cd's. 7.10 won't run. It freezes at "..loading local boot scripts [rc.]". I have an AMD 64 processor, and this is a 64 bit cd, but it just gets stuck. I bought them from Cannocal because someone said this was what I needed. That was nearly 3 years ago, so I just keep them in a box. Kinda like an old coin collection, I suppose.

What does it mean to start with drivers ? I have mint like 4.0, will that help ?

Linux Guru
    Sorry, but I don't have anything more to offer. If it doesn't see the device, it will never work.

Older versions of Linux won't work very well on a newer PC. There will be drivers missing, so you should use the latest versions. But test versions can be problematic too, as you now have seen.

Linux Newbie
    Sorry, but I don't have anything more to offer. If it doesn't see the device, it will never work.

Older versions of Linux won't work very well on a newer PC. There will be drivers missing, so you should use the latest versions. But test versions can be problematic too, as you now have seen.
    Where would I go to force it to "see"it ? _ write a script, perhaps ??

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast