Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
WiCD Detects Both My Network & The girl' s Accross the street But Mine Does not Work without manually adding the DNS Settings, Gateway, Router IP and so forth, yet ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

WiCD, The Annoying Little Troll Is On A Roll....

WiCD Detects Both My Network & The girl' s Accross the street But Mine Does not Work without manually adding the DNS Settings, Gateway, Router IP and so forth, yet I dont need to do this withe neighbors networks at all.

I' m in need of a solution, after weeks of screwing with it, I' m slap ready to pull my hair out.

Any help ?

is your network using dhcp?

Linux Newbie

DHCP On WiCD ? ~ Sure Beats Me!....

Quote Originally Posted by coopstah13 View Post
    is your network using dhcp?
    Dunno. you know the Command ?

I run DreamLinux 4.0 so I'd say yes, but I need to verify that.

?

this would be something you would check for in your router configuration, all routers are slightly different so I can't tell you how to check it, usually you use a browser and navigate to the IP of the router like http://192.168.0.1

Linux Newbie

It's DHCP For Me...

this would be something you would check for in your router configuration, all routers are slightly different so I can't tell you how to check it, usually you use a browser and navigate to the IP of the router like http://192.168.0.1
    Yeah. Belkin is @ 192.168.1 .... "DHCP Server: Enabled" ....

Notes:

The girl across the street is using a net gear outfit, more info not known.

WiCD Panel Icon frequently says I'm connected, as evidenced by my weather Icon, but I cannot get on the net without manually typing in the dns settings in Network Manager.

I don't need to manually type in the girls dns settings to get it to where it "just works". ~why ?

My winows 7 crapware just works w/o any fuss.

This is not an "Alpha" build issue, that's pretty obvious.

My guess is it is the router hardware.

I use a Belkin F5D5274-4 v5 router. a few months old [4 ?], I bought it at Fry's in Plano, Texas.

I have AT&T DSL. 4 blocks from my house. [probably not a signal strength issue].

my laptop is a eMachines E625 {built in 2008, purchased in sep '09, Fry's, Plano Texas, $337 + carry bag & tax, = $401]
    Last edited by SA.com; 03-17-2010 at 11:51 AM. Reason: Added "Notes".....

not sure, it should just work, i would try resetting your router to factory defaults and see what happens then

Linux Newbie

Factory Settings Is Deee Fault ?...

not sure, it should just work, i would try resetting your router to factory defaults and see what happens then
    I stuck a tiny drill bit in the hole marked "Reset", will that do it ? If so, nope. No change.

The belkin retard said Linux does not support Belkin. ~ Not that Belkin does not support Linux. That just irresponsible and asinine. Just the same, could this be a firm ware issue ?

Any thoughts ??

do you have any settings specific to your network connection in wicd? I'm not all that familiar with wicd

click on the properties for your profiles and make sure none are set to use static items

Try changing Under External Programs tab dhclient instead of Automatic .

PS. Don't forget to hit refreash after enabling dhclient.

But Mine Does not Work without manually adding the DNS Settings, Gateway, Router IP and so forth, yet I dont need to do this withe neighbors networks at all.
    Also looks like the problem is with your router settings with your provider. Not Wicds.
    Last edited by rokytnji; 03-17-2010 at 03:01 PM.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Linux Newbie

Specific Connctions In WiCD With Me ?...

do you have any settings specific to your network connection in wicd? I'm not all that familiar with wicd

click on the properties for your profiles and make sure none are set to use static items
    Yes. But I'm tired of typing them in when Wicd Autodetects them for every one elses but mine. + my wired network is out. I have it working in an older v. of DreamLinux, I need to double check if I typed those in by hand or not too.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast