Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all, I bought a USB mobile broadband from T-mobile a couple of days ago. I was told that it would definitly work with Linux but it doesn't . I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Sor
    Just Joined!

T-mobile USB Mobile Broadband help

Hi all,

I bought a USB mobile broadband from T-mobile a couple of days ago. I was told that it would definitly work with Linux but it doesn't . I have spoken to both t-mobile and Acer for help but no one seems to know what to do. I have 14 days to trial so hopefully someone will be able to help!

I'm completly and totally untechnical so I can't open terminals, change configurations etc... (some of the things I have found by searching the internet on this) so I need a very basic step by step. Apologies.

For this USB the software is already loaded on to it so it should be plug and play.
    When I plug it in, my computer recognises it as a usb storage and instead of running the software and installing it opens up a folder (as with any other storage) and shows me the files inside wich are all set up and the like. Nothing else happens.

I have already set up T-mobile under Mobile Manager on my Acer but the computer still does not recognise the mobile broadband at all. Can anyone guide me to what I'm suppose to do? I have been trying to get mobile broadband for ages so I was really hoping this work! Any help mych appreciated.

Many thanks!

what distro are you using?

plug in the device and follow this thread
    http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/wir...tart-here.html

at least we can see if it is detected and configured properly by OS

Sor
    Just Joined!
    Hiya,

Apologies but I don't know what 'distro' is. Although I have followed the link you sent and below are the results for some reason I can't copy the text here so I'm typing it out- any idea how to do this?

USB Wireless command: everything else came out 000000000 apart from:

Code:
    "Bus 001 Device 003 ID: 19d2:2000 ZTE/ONDA 3G Modem
    Bus 001 Device 002 ID: 064e:d101 Acer Crystal Eye Webcam"

I thought this may also be useful, Kermel version:
    Code " 2.6.23.91w"

Is this useful? Please let me know if you need anymore info.
    Cheers!
    S

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Blackfooted Penguin daark.child's Avatar
    "Distro" is short for distribution which is the name and version of you Linux based operating system e.g. openSUSE 11.2, Ubuntu 9.10 etc. Huawei modems e.g. the E160, E156 and E1550 work out of the box on most Linux distros. ZTE modems (like the one you have) seem to require extra steps in order to get them working right. Let us know what distro you are running and we'll try to help.

Sor
    Just Joined!
    Hiya,

Thanks for that.
    I don't think this is what you are looking for but under system I have the following:

Operating system: Linpus Linux Lite V.10.7.E

I don't know how to find out the 'distro' Sorry this must be the stupidiest question ever asked but how do I find this out?
    Cheers!
    S