Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi people Sorry for take part of your time, but i have a problem and nothing I have tried so far seems to work, so I hope somebody here could ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Wireless conection not working

Hi people

Sorry for take part of your time, but i have a problem and nothing I have tried so far seems to work, so I hope somebody here could help me.

The situation is that I can't make the wireless connection of a laptop work. The card is a Realtek 8187se, I'm using Gentoo and wpa_supplicant.

Platform:
    amd64

flavor
    Gentoo

Kernel:
    2.6.32-r7

Network card:
    Realtek RTL8187SE

Driver:
    8187SE from the staging drivers section in kernel.

dmesg:
    No errors reported

/etc/conf.d/net
    Code:
    config_wlan0=( "192.168.0.145 broadcast 192.168.0.255 netmask 255.255.255.0" )
    routes_wlan0=( "default via 192.168.0.1" )
    modules_wlan0=( "!iwconfig wpa_supplicant" )
    wpa_supplicant_wlan0="-Dwext"
    wpa_timeout_wlan0=30
    essid_wlan0="patito"
    mode_wlan0="auto"
    channel_wlan0="7"
    /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf
    Code:
    ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant
    ctrl_interface_group=0
    update_config=1
    ap_scan=1
    network={
    	ssid="patito"
    	scan_ssid=1
    	proto=RSN
    	key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
    	pairwise=CCMP TKIP
    	psk="the_right_password"
    	priority=5
    }
    resolv.conf
    nameserver 192.168.0.1

I have tried many variations and combinations, but none seem to work, some of the last things i have tried are:
    - modules_wlan0=( "!iwconfig wpa_supplicant" ) without !iwconfig. Then no ip was assigned to the wlan, even using dhcpcd.
    - Using dhcp in /etc/conf.d/net
    - changing proto=RSN to WPA to use version 1 of the protocol or WPA2
    - setting auth_alg to OPEN and to SHARED in wpa_supplicant.conf
    - using wpa_supplicant -c /etc/... -Dwext -iwlan0. The only message was that the interface was connected to the mac address of the router.

With all the tests i have done, I can see in the router that something is trying to connect, but the ipaddress is always 0.0.0.0.

Hello and Welcome!

In my little experience, the gurus in the forum was able to analyze my wireless questions when I posted the outputs of the following commands found here...

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/wir...tart-here.html

You might want to give it a try too .
    nujinini
    Linux User #489667

Just Joined!
    Hi

Thanks for the answer nujinini

Certainly the most information, the better, the problem is that i can't paste logs because that laptop has no internet access and I don't have a usb key to paste files there. That's why i have to type everything.

I have more info in the original post I opened in the gentoo forum, but I'm not allowed to post links to outside, so i didn't want to break the rules.

I will write the link as text just to help with a bit more info, but if it is not acceptable, please remove the link.

forums . gentoo . org/viewtopic-t-826680.html

uname -a
    Linux patitohost 2.6.32-gentoo-r7 #23 SMP Wed May 12 11:10:45 MYT 2010 x86_64 Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU Q 820 @ 1.73Ghz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux

Of course if any more information is needed, I will find the way to write it here, and any test you ask me, I will try it.

Bye

Just Joined!
    Hi

Well i managed to connect a wire to that computer for a while and uploaded some logs which you can find in post i mentioned before

I hope this is enough, but if you need anything else, please let me know.

Bye

Hello patomas,

I myself am not yet well versed and is still trying to learn.

Meanwhile, I try to help others by suggesting ways and means to help try to make their questions easier to be noticed and that all necessary infos complete.

With regards to wireless concerns, it might be a little difficult if you do not have easy access to a wired internet cable because you will need to post outputs for proper analysis.

Just in case you have access, I suggest you place the outputs as requested here..

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/wir...tart-here.html

Afterwards, we can just hope that somebody would be able to give you what you need.

The best of luck!
    nujinini
    Linux User #489667

Just Joined!
    Hi

Well I have updated more info in the gentoo forum mentioned above, but the problem persists...

I also tried with ndiswrapper, but to no avail.

Bye