Find the answer to your Linux question:
I don't know if this is the right place to put this or not. I actually have a solution not a problem that I would like to share. I have ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

wireless card and network card not installed after Ubuntu 9.10 install

I don't know if this is the right place to put this or not. I actually have a solution not a problem that I would like to share. I have an intel wifi 5100 card and an ar8131 network card in my laptop. I just intalled Ubuntu 9.10 on my usb drive and worked perfect but when I booted it up the first time I didn't have an network cards listed. I did the lspci and they both showed up but the system didn't have any drivers loaded for either one. I did a bunch of research and found out that there is an issue with the acpi and they won't work but you can supposedly just upgrade to a newer kernel. Well I've had trouble on my dual cpu system, where Ubuntu wouldn't see both cpus and I went into grub.cfg and added apci=off and acpi=off to the end of the kernel line. Works great, everything came up on the next reboot and configured itself. Hope this helps someone else out.

Just Joined!
    thanks for the info, sometimes a simple kernal upgrade fixes this though

I've had issues with 2 systems now where the kernel upgrade didn't work. It's an issue with acpi and the motherboard.