Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi I am a newbie, I am determined this time to stick it out and not give up and go back to Windows. I am using Debian, which I downloaded ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Smile cannot get wireless card to work

Hi I am a newbie,
    I am determined this time to stick it out and not give up and go back to Windows. I am using Debian, which I downloaded to a bootable dvd. Everything went smoothly and the various applications that come with it seem very useful and run just like Windows!.

I have come up against a brick wall - I cannot get the wireless card to work. I don't even know, if the OS is aware I have wireless card. I am using a Compag nc6320 laptop. I did download a driver from Compaq, it was in a unfamiliar format tar.tgz or something like it. I have tried to open it, but really do not have a clue, how I can install a driver. It is not like running an .exe file in Windows.

I have heard so many good things about linux, that I determined to stick with it. I have a partition with Windows 7 installed, just in case!!

Howdy and Welcome n1ckrees

For your Belkin issue. I might suggest you follow the intructions from Here first before opening a new thread in This section of the form. Good Luck with it and be patient. You will get connected soon enough. Just remember we are all volunteers here.

Happy Trails, Rok
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Just Joined!
    thanks for the reply - I stuck it out and did a bit off research, learning some useful Linux tips along the way.
    I discovered the BW43_fwcutter package; I installed it with Synaptic package manager. Hey Presto my Wireless card is working and I can connect to my ADSL router.
    Many thanks
    N1ckrees

Quote Originally Posted by n1ckrees View Post
    thanks for the reply - I stuck it out and did a bit off research, learning some useful Linux tips along the way.
    I discovered the BW43_fwcutter package; I installed it with Synaptic package manager. Hey Presto my Wireless card is working and I can connect to my ADSL router.
    Many thanks
    N1ckrees
    Nice!
    To me, that is how you show initiative. Good job on getting it working. I think you'll make a fine Linux user.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.