Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all, I have a sony vaio that i would like to upgrade to ubuntu, the only thing i'm worried about is whether the on-board wireless card will be linux ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

How to find out if my wireless card is linux (ubuntu) compatible

Hi all,
    I have a sony vaio that i would like to upgrade to ubuntu, the only thing i'm worried about is whether the on-board wireless card will be linux compliant. i would really not like to use another card. the windows device manager calls the device that following "LAN-Express AS IEEE 802.11g miniPCI adapter". I don't really know much about dos commands that could help me identify the device better. The driver provider is called "LAN-Express". If this information is not enough please advise on how to get the right info. thanks in advance.

My laptop is the model PCG-k195hp

Hi,

I have a suggestion. Its kinda complicated but I would do it this way if I really want to check my machine.

I would install the Ubuntu by making a small partition somewhere along the HD. Then run it and give the wireless drivers a try if it would connect.

I'm not sure if you can try it using a live CD though without the insallation part.

Should you decide to install , gparted is available in ubuntu. You can use it to parition your HD and prepare it for installation.

Be sure to back up important data first.

Best wishes!

EDIT: As you as you are done, I suggest you start another thread for your vaio/ubuntu wireless concerns.
    Last edited by nujinini; 05-18-2010 at 09:13 AM.
    nujinini
    Linux User #489667

The easiest way is indeed just to run a live CD and see if the wireless works.

If it does not work out of the box, for Ubuntu, open a terminal and post the output of
    Code:
    lshw -C network

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close