Find the answer to your Linux question:
My mom just switched from Comcast to Clear 4G Mobile Internet service and I don't know how to get this working on a Ubuntu 10.04 system. The Clear installation USB ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Clear 4G Mobile USB - How can I get this working?

My mom just switched from Comcast to Clear 4G Mobile Internet service and I don't know how to get this working on a Ubuntu 10.04 system. The Clear installation USB only gives me two options: Windows Users and Mac OS X Users.

I was wondering if the Linux WiMax driver would be instrumental in having Clear work on my Ubuntu 10.04 system.

However, if there are no other options, we do have 10 days to back out of the contract.

I would really appreciate it if someone could steer me in the right direction. I'm a dim light bulb when it comes to these things.

(Attached are pictures of the Clear installation USB, Clear Modem, and icon that pops up after I plug in the installation USB.)

If I didn't provide enough info, just let me know!
    Attached Images Attached Images

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Most USB mobile data modems are recognized and handled by Ubuntu without problems - no need to install drivers. They appear to the system as a USB modem. What goes on between the modem and the wireless towers is not important (WiMax, CDMA, 3g, etc). Boot up, plug in the modem, login as your usual user. When you left-click on the wireless icon on the right-top bar of the screen, you should see an entry like "Auto Mobile Broadband...Connection". Click on that to enable it, if you see it. One thing is that you need to make sure that the USB port you use is powered. On some laptops, only one or two of the USB ports are powered. You may need to consult the system documentation to determine which ones those may be.

Assuming that all the above is correct, but you don't see the entry for mobile broadband, then it is entirely possible that the modem is not currently supported by Ubuntu. There are ways around that, which usually require a lot of work and gnashing of teeth, but if that is the case, we will try to get you going.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    Hi i live in the caribbean, my ubuntu 10.04 reads my dual modem as a storage drive it does not pick up the 3g or 4g

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Hmmm. It thinks the modem is a storage device? You may need to initialize it first, but it should be seen as a modem type of device, and mount it as a PPP device. Have you tried Ubuntu 9.04? Also, have you checked on Clear's web site for Linux help?
    Ok. I just searched on Clear.com's web site and none of their USB modems support Linux. Only their Series M (home/office) device specifically states support for Linux in the specifications page. FWIW, if you run Windows in a virtual machine that supporrts USB pass-thru (such as VirtualBox), you can run and setup the device in the Windows VM. Then Ubuntu may see it as a modem and work with it. Otherwise, I don't know what to tell you, other than contacting Clear's tech support for assistance.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!