Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi guys, just got a small question: I recently installed Sabayon 5.3 32 bit on my laptop, which uses an Intel Corporation WiFi Link 1000 Series wireless device (according to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Intel WiFi Link 1000 with Sabayon by default

Hi guys, just got a small question:

I recently installed Sabayon 5.3 32 bit on my laptop, which uses an Intel Corporation WiFi Link 1000 Series wireless device (according to lspci in Ubuntu 10.04), and the wireless is not working by default. Since most of the time I've been using linux, I've always stuck with Ubuntu or openSUSE. Both of these OS's detect and setup my wireless for me, so I've never had to do this kind of thing before (except with Windows 7, but that just involved me downloading the latest driver for my wireless device).

I ran the "WirelessSetup" shell script from the stickied thread at the top and have the output from that for you guys to have a look at (I honestly can't make sense of most of it).

Oh and also, I don't know if this is of interest or will help, but when I tried out Debian Lenny, it did the same thing and didn't detect my wireless device by default. (I really don't know if there was any point in me saying, but I just thought I'd say anyway, just in case...)

Thanks for taking the time to read and hopefully help out
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by poltak; 07-28-2010 at 07:05 AM. Reason: forgot to add in file

Everything in your output seems fine. The driver, iwlagn, is loading, as well as the firmware. The device is associated with a network called "NETGEAR".

What exactly is not working for you?

(Debian will not work with this card out of the box, since it does not include the required firmware. But that is easily installed.)

Just Joined!
    Oh my... I just realised what I had done as soon as I read your post... I ran the executable under ubuntu, just because that was the OS I was in at the time and I wasn't thinking >_> Anyway, I've gone and edited my original post and put in the output of that executable when run under Sabayon. It should be right now.

Also, it should be noted that when I ran the WirelessSetup under Sabayon in terminal, I got four small error lines after it:
    Code:
    ./WirelessSetup: line 9: lspci: command not found
    ./WirelessSetup: line 12: lsusb: command not found
    ./WirelessSetup: line 24: ifconfig: command not found
    ./WirelessSetup: line 27: iwconfig: command not found
    But other than those commands, I'm assuming the output file gathered the rest of the info.

Thanks again... and sorry about that... I feel stupid now

All of those commands need the full path in Sabayon, and the script doesn't account for that. (So /sbin/lspci, /sbin/lsusb, etc.)

I'd wager though that you're just missing the firmware.
    /sbin/lsmod
    dmesg | grep firmware
    Assuming it is the firmware, look for the package iwl1000-ucode.

Sabayon's what, Gentoo based? I think you can just do
    Code:
    su -
    emerge iwl1000-ucode
    EDIT: The above assuming you've synced your portage tree.

Just Joined!
    Alright, I've gone a re-entered those commands in Sabayon properly and pasted the outputs in a file that I'll upload here.

And yes, Sabayon is Gentoo based. Basically it is Gentoo for newbies or lazy people (I think I fall into both those categories when it comes to linux....) as in you don't need to compile anything in the install. It just installs like say ubuntu does with the computer doing all the work, and you have a full up and running Gentoo based system ready within 30mins. And since this is my first proper time using a Gentoo system, I can honestly say that I don't have a clue whether my portage tree has been synced or not... most likely not (unless it does it in the installation).

I tried that command anyway and included its output for you, although I'm pretty sure I can understand it and it didn't work.

Thanks,
    poltak

En:HOWTO: The Complete Portage Guide - Sabayon

They might have a package via their usual package manager as well. You can try
    Code:
    su -
    equo update
    equo install iwl1000-ucode
    I know it's around somewhere, there's a gentoo ebuild for it.
    Gentoo Packages /package/net-wireless/iwl1000-ucode