Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am new to Linspire/Linux. How do I setup a Netgear WNA1100 wirleless adaptor?...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Linspire and Netgear WNA1100 setup

I am new to Linspire/Linux. How do I setup a Netgear WNA1100 wirleless adaptor?

Use the

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/wir...tart-here.html

and post pertinent info below.

Just guessing but googling showed that the ath9k driver is gonna be needed if it is a USB Netgear WNA1100. Can't say though till you follow above link instructions first.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rokytnji View Post

Just guessing but googling showed that the ath9k driver is gonna be needed if it is a USB Netgear WNA1100. Can't say though till you follow above link instructions first.
    If it's a UAB based Atheros, ath9k is useless.

You need the ath9k_htc driver. Atheros' usb chipsets are a whole different ball game from the chipsets found in the pci/pci-e versions.

And the ath9k_htc driver is a complete bag of hurt. Its a very new, infant driver for Atheros USB chipsets which was only recently introduced, and if I remember Linux Wireless' documentation correctly, only the bleeding edge version of compat-wireless has the driver built into the package, and can only be compiled on kernels v2.6.29 or newer.

And i am still pretty sure that, unless that copy of Linspire is running off a custom kernel, 2.6.29 is light years ahead of the stock Linspire kernel.

Quote Originally Posted by Etna View Post
    And i am still pretty sure that, unless that copy of Linspire is running off a custom kernel, 2.6.29 is light years ahead of the stock Linspire kernel.
    You bring up a salient point. My first question for the original poster would be "Why Linspire?" It's basically a dead project now, and has been for several years. You're likely better off with a newer distribution, and even if it doesn't have the proper wireless drivers built-in you're bound to have better luck installing them.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

I didn't mention anything about Linspire cuz

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/wir...tml#post798326

So OP should already know Moe and Etna. I think if OP had a clue on installing a New Distro/Linux OS (which I agree on totally) we would not be seeing the 2 posts about trying to get some kind of wireless working. What gets me also is why a external USB would be needed when Linspire Netbooks (Like Acer Aspire One ZG5) has a internal pci wireless card.

Pretty much why I gave a canned answer. No info given as usual. So try to coax some info to see where it leads.

If your reading this. Paiwog. Open a new thread under lets say Installation or Netbook Section.

Title: Best Linux Distro for my Laptop/Netbook

Give Make, Model Number, Any reason on why you can't use internal wireless. Don't be afraid to go into detail. The more info you give. The better we can help you. If a Acer Aspire One ZG5. I own one. Other Members own one here also. If other make and model. Be sure to include in thread description. Use thread tools to close out other threads you started on Linspire. Pretty sure folks here can get you sorted on running a Modern Linux Distro on your gear.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Quote Originally Posted by rokytnji View Post
    I didn't mention anything about Linspire cuz

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/wir...tml#post798326

So OP should already know Moe and Etna. I think if OP had a clue on installing a New Distro/Linux OS (which I agree on totally) we would not be seeing the 2 posts about trying to get some kind of wireless working. What gets me also is why a external USB would be needed when Linspire Netbooks (Like Acer Aspire One ZG5) has a internal pci wireless card.

Pretty much why I gave a canned answer. No info given as usual. So try to coax some info to see where it leads.

If your reading this. Paiwog. Open a new thread under lets say Installation or Netbook Section.

Title: Best Linux Distro for my Laptop/Netbook

Give Make, Model Number, Any reason on why you can't use internal wireless. Don't be afraid to go into detail. The more info you give. The better we can help you. If a Acer Aspire One ZG5. I own one. Other Members own one here also. If other make and model. Be sure to include in thread description. Use thread tools to close out other threads you started on Linspire. Pretty sure folks here can get you sorted on running a Modern Linux Distro on your gear.
    I see your point. Can't help those who don't take initiative.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants