Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi I am thinking of using my laptop (with 3G and wifi) as an access point to one or more laptops (with wifi) in atleast Adhoc mode. Both the 3G ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Connect 3G and Wifi

Hi

I am thinking of using my laptop (with 3G and wifi) as an access point to one or more
    laptops (with wifi) in atleast Adhoc mode.

Both the 3G and wifi and USB modules. Is there any way I can set a route to
    direct the packets. I don't want to take it to the application level to loop down.
    Let's say, the kernel is 2.6.32

Is there a simple, elegant way to do this

Thanks
    Suni

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    You can easily (so I've been told) configure a Linux laptop as a router. I do what you want with my Android phone. It is a 3G device running Android 2.2 which has a built-in hot-spot capability. IE, it becomes a WiFi access point for up to 5 systems, and connects them directly to the Internet via 3G or EDGE (depending upon the quality of local cell reception). With 3G, you get a 1.5-2 mbps (DSL+) speed. I've used it in some classes when we needed to have internet access for a small group of students. Works great! You should be able to do the same thing with your laptop. FWIW, my phone is running a 2.6.32 kernel as well.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!