Find the answer to your Linux question:
Well, I installed Ubuntu Netbook Edition but it didn't detected the wireless drivers, then I tried ndiswrapper and didn't work neither, then I downloaded some drivers for Linux form the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Unhappy RaLink rt3090 Wireless drivers: Which distros support it?

Well, I installed Ubuntu Netbook Edition but it didn't detected the wireless drivers,
    then I tried ndiswrapper and didn't work neither,
    then I downloaded some drivers for Linux form the Internet and it didn't work neither,
    then I messed it up with 'modprobe rt3090sta' drivers and it worked for a while,
    then when I reboot the computer it didn't work again,
    then I messed it up again with 'modprobe' and it worked again,
    then I rebooted again and it didn't work again,

and now the wifi drivers don't work...

So... There is any distro that support these drivers from the beginning? I lost of lot of time -.-

Sorry for my english =(

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Have you tried the ralink web site for proprietary linux drivers?
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

As suggested by Rubberman, get the proprietary drivers.
    I've yet to have any distro that didn't work with the RaLink drivers.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Just Joined!
    You can have simple support with Mandriva and with PclinuxOs. Install the distro on your computer and get the driver from synaptic. At this time you must be connected with wired internet.
    After you have it installed you can configure it, which is not a big job. There you type the password, that is usual with captital letters. I`ve got it done quite quick; in ubuntu i tried it many times, but never succeeded.

RaLink drivers are available Ralink corp. I tried version 2.4.0.2 but it did not work well for me ... but you may have better luck. Depending on the distro you may be able to obtain via repositories.

In Arch its available via the AUR. I'll try at some point in future when I have a bit more time to sort it out ... but at least an opensource version is available

I had trouble with Ubuntu 10.04, but 10.10 recognized my Ralink USB wireless N and works fine. My device uses the 2070 driver though.
    Registered Linux user #526930

Quote Originally Posted by MASONTX View Post
    I had trouble with Ubuntu 10.04, but 10.10 recognized my Ralink USB wireless N and works fine. My device uses the 2070 driver though.
    Same for me ... 10.04 does not recognise the wireless but default 10.10 does ... in my case lspci -vv lists modules rt2860sta, rt2800pci and reports rt2800pci as being in use.

I also found the latest version of Mint Debian Edition worked out of the box with the rt3090 ...

Just Joined!
    Mandriva and Pclinuxos are ok. After installing you go to synaptic (with wired internet) and search `rt3090` and install one or two programs. Then you must go to `wireless` and enter the router password, probably in capital letters. It has worked for me for more than 1 year in my eeepc, that has the ralink rt3090. I tried it many times in ubuntu, but never succeeded.
    Last edited by rvqx; 03-19-2011 at 12:25 PM.

Banned
    the kernel guys do a crappy job of building driver support into the Linux kernel.

The proprietary drivers at Ralink's website trash the built-in kernel drivers by a huge margin in performance. But of course the idealistic people who use Linux will cut off their nose to spite their own face by refusing to download the proprietary Ralink drivers, preferring instead to deal with major issues found on the built-in drivers in the kernel.