Find the answer to your Linux question:
It has been quite a while since our house became wireless. We just blindly clicked on some choices, hit and miss and voila! were on wireless. Only now I realize ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Help Manage Router

It has been quite a while since our house became wireless. We just blindly clicked on some choices, hit and miss and voila! were on wireless. Only now I realize the importance of also understanding the system.

Is there a way I can access my router from my laptop? I did a little googling and executed

Code:
    jun@jun-laptop ~ $ route -n
    Kernel IP routing table
    Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref    Use Iface
    192.168.1.0     0.0.0.0         255.255.255.0   U     2      0        0 eth1
    169.254.0.0     0.0.0.0         255.255.0.0     U     1000   0        0 eth1
    0.0.0.0         192.168.1.1     0.0.0.0         UG    0      0        0 eth1
    jun@jun-laptop ~
    $

After which I typed 192.168.1.1 on the address box on top and it asked me for a username and password which I already forgot.

I tried the "name" we see when we connect and the "password" we use to connect but it won't accept.

Would it be possible to reset everything so that I can also learn how to be in control of my own router at home? Periodically change "name" and "password". Perhaps block some sites or check on some sites the others at home are visiting. For protection and security.

Thanks!
    nujinini
    Linux User #489667

Yes, there should be a little pinhole sized button which will reset your router to the factory defaults somewhere on the device. You may need a paperclip to successfully press the button, which will usually need to be held for a few seconds to work.

Once that's done, if you have your user manual, it should include the default username and password, or if you google your router's make and model, that info is widely available online.

But before you do this and therefore loose all your settings try out whether it's not the default login which some manufacturers assign to their routers. This is usually something like admin => password, admin => 000 or similar. Which one it is should be listed in your router's manual or directly on its case (mostly somewhere on the back in tiny letters).

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Thanks guys.

Username: Admin
    Password: Admin

Did the job for me!
    nujinini
    Linux User #489667