Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all, I own a wireless usb modem( ZTE AC2726). I also own a laptop with built in wifi. My idea is to surf the internet on my mobile phone(wifi ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

USB internet on phone

Hi all,

I own a wireless usb modem( ZTE AC2726).
    I also own a laptop with built in wifi.
    My idea is to surf the internet on my mobile phone(wifi enabled nokia 5800), by connecting it to my laptop, which is connected to internet through the usb modem. Is it possible? Please suggest any options.

Current OS : Ubuntu 10.04 LTS

Thank you very much.

Avi.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    It depends upon whether or not the phone has a "tethering" feature and that your phone's data account allows it. I have a Nexus One phone that does allow that, so I can connect it to my Ubuntu laptop, enable tethering, and the laptop automatically recognizes it and connects to the internet. I also have (had - just cancelled the account) a Sprint Sierra USB wireless modem that also was recognized out-of-the-box by Ubuntu. In neither case did I have to install drivers or do any configuring whatsoever.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Ah! I think I misunderstood your situation. Please clarify. Are you trying to use the USB modem on the laptop to connect to the internet, and use that via a wifi connection on your phone? If so, I misunderstood and was thinking you wanted to use the nokia phone as your internet connection. Doh! (Homer Simpson dope-slap sound here).

So, if this is the case, then it may be possible if you set up your laptop as an access point, dhcp server, and router. You might be able to forego the access point stuff by using peer-to-peer connection protocols, assuming the nokia allows that.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!