Find the answer to your Linux question:
I got a laptop for X-mas, and my old desktop used Linksys router for wireless internet. However, my desktop got a virus. Now I don't have wireless internet since I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

How can I get wireless internet without using a desktop?

I got a laptop for X-mas, and my old desktop used Linksys router for wireless internet. However, my desktop got a virus. Now I don't have wireless internet since I don't remember the authorization code (?) to connect to my wireless internet (I had saved the code on my desktop). Is there anyway to get wireless internet without the use of a desktop?

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Your laptop should have a wired ethernet port. Connect it with an ethernet cable to the router. That should get you connected so you can access the router web page to look up the key(s) you used for the wireless.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Also, if you forgot the admin password for the router, you may have to reset it to factory settings. There is a recessed button on the backside where all the ports are that you need to hold in (using a paper clip or such) for about 10 seconds. If you just press the button quickly, it will only reboot the router, but hoding it in for 10 seconds is supposed to reset it to factory defaults - the admin password for which is "admin".
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!