Find the answer to your Linux question:
After reading Verizon's user forum, I remain confused as to whether the new 4G wireless will interface with a Linux laptop, say. Don't know much about wireless at present, but ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Will Verizon 4G connect with Linux yet?

After reading Verizon's user forum, I remain confused as to whether the new 4G wireless will interface with a Linux laptop, say.
    Don't know much about wireless at present, but need to delve into it. Friends want to know and are asking me. Many have only wireless for ISP service and Verizon is the carrier of choice.
    Any info, how2, refs appreciated!

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    There are several ways. One is if the computer has 3g/4g capability (a lot do these days). However, those generally are devices that require a SIM card, which means AT&T or T-Mobile. Verizon is CDMA/LTE and does not use a SIM card. Therefore you will have to purchase either a 4g phone that has tethering capability (you plug it into a USB port on the laptop and it works as a modem), has hotspot capability (use connect to it as any WiFi access point), or you get a Verizon 4g modem that plugs into the USB port.

FWIW, I have used Sprint CDMA broadband USB modems in the past (worked very well - even on the train between Chicago and San Francisco), and now I use my Google Nexus One as a tethered 3g modem (plug cable into computer and phone, enable tethering, voila!) or as a WiFi hotspot (great for up to 5 computer users - get 3mbps with a good connection).

Anyway, the options these days are exploding in variety and capability. Personally, my mind sometimes boggles at it all!
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Thanks, rubberman!
    LTE looks the way to go, but it's not in rural areas, yet.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close