Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I wasn't sure which of the following this issue was so I guessed here. The three things i think it could be is A. An arch specific issue B. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Arch: can ping and connect to ip's but not http

Hi, I wasn't sure which of the following this issue was so I guessed here.

The three things i think it could be is
    A. An arch specific issue
    B. a Linux general issue with networking
    C. A network setup issue.

I'm at my college and when I hop on Firefox (or Konquer for that matter) I can
    Code:
     ping -c 5 google.com
    successfully, I can connect to google's ip, and get their page, but if I attempt to go to google.com, immediate "cannot find server" error. The only reason i think it might be a software error and not a DNS issue in the networking is because of how immediate it is. I'm not sure where to go from here, because I can't seem to find ANYTHING related. I can find no internet connection all together, and I can find wireless specific, but nothing like this.

Thank you in advance.

EDIT: errr, hold on, The post "static DNS issues" on another forum seems to be pretty similar.

Same problem with my Arch too as rathel. Have issues only with wireless connections, when i'm on wired network, everything works fine.
    Some sites (1-2 only, for example, archlinux.org does not) work without problem. I tried OpenDNS and 8.8.8.8 too, without any change.
    It's strange, because I use Arch for about a year, and never experienced such problem, only after my last fresh install (new HDD) last week.
    I gave a shot for ubuntu (and archbang), to see, if there's any change, but it's the same issue there.
    I installed wicd, but the same results, only wired net works, wireless has a connection, but no data transfer.

I'm in dual-boot with WinXP, where wifi works without a glitch, so I don't think it's my networks fault.

Any ideas? I want my Arch back! smile
    My issue is exactly like this only I've never had arch before.

This remains unsolved on their forum

Couple questions. Which browser are you using? Does the same occur in multiple browsers? Does this just occur on your college network?

What does the file /etc/resolv.conf look like?

Install dnsutils
    Code:
    pacman -S dnsutils
    and check with nslookup
    Code:
    nslookup google.com

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by reed9 View Post
    Couple questions. Which browser are you using? Does the same occur in multiple browsers? Does this just occur on your college network?

What does the file /etc/resolv.conf look like?

Install dnsutils
    Code:
    pacman -S dnsutils
    and check with nslookup
    Code:
    nslookup google.com
    So far, it's JUST with the college network. Their channel 11 works fine as does 1, but channel 6 refuses to give me an ip half the time, and the other half gives me the original posts error. I wouldn't even bother except the building I'm mainly in is nothing but 6. I have 1 class where I can get 11, and it's never given me trouble.

I'll have to get back to you on the other stuff when I'm on campus

Just Joined!
    Are U using any proxy?

I applied on my college nice shiny firewall to deny them access to internet (port 80, 443, 8080, etc.. ) - this can explain that U have problems on specific channels (seperate APs)

BR
    Vizinger Dino

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    So, if you have the IP address, you can connect, but the address name like "www dot something dot com" doesn't work, correct? This means that your DNS server settings are wrong. What are the contents of the file /etc/resolv.conf?
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!