Find the answer to your Linux question:
How to automatically connect to wireless network? everytime i startup xpud, it doesn't remember my password and I have to type it in. How do i make it remember?...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Automatically connect to wireless network?

How to automatically connect to wireless network? everytime i startup xpud, it doesn't remember my password and I have to type it in. How do i make it remember?

Though I'm not too familiar with xPud (it looks pretty cool!) I can recommend a way that should automatically connect you to your wireless network at boot-time.

It will require a simple BASH script:

auto_wireless.sh
    Code:
    #! /bin/bash
    ifconfig wlan0 up
    iwconfig wlan0 essid NETWORK_ID key WIRELESS_KEY
    dhclient wlan0
    The above will first enable your wireless interface, locate and attempt to connect to wireless network by it's ESSID and wireless key. You of course will need to edit the above script to match your networks credentials. It then queries the networks DHCP server for configuration of your wlan0 interface.

Place the script in your '/etc/post-boot.d' directory and it should be executed at boot-time.

I hope this helps

Just Joined!
    hmm excuse me for being a noob but installing xpud places it in C:\ directory with only one folder C:\xpud so I can't find the place /post-boot.d

so i'm guessing in the C:\xpud directory?

Also, since i go to school then home then to friends houses, do I need a script for each wifi connection or can I use this same bash to simultaneosly query all wifis in the list?

Hmm, this xPud is more of a mystery to me than I thought! I'm growing ever curious about it. So much that I'm downloading it now, going to try it out in a virtual environment. It has some blazing fast boot times!

Are you looking for the /etc/post-boot.d directory from Windows or from xPud it's self? Try looking for it from the xPud file manager. Is it showing a Linux file structure or a Windows file structure?

One thing to note is that this wireless issue was a known problem in xPUD 0.9.2. This was fixed in later production builds and you'll want to double check that your version is higher.

You may be interested in the following post on the xPUD forums, where a work around is offered. It may or may not work for you.

xPUD Forums; Making a Wireless Password Persistent

I hope this helps.

Just Joined!
    hmm thanks nagarjuna, so I followed the instructions from the xpud forum, and you know what happens? The menu+wireless file doesn't get executed.

So I tested my filesystem and created a file in my root with some text then restarted, and the file was still there but the text inside was gone!

I think the problem is that my filesystem is wierd, can you diagnose this?
    Last edited by zijin_cheng; 03-24-2011 at 02:42 AM.

I setup xPud on VirtualBox and have found that I cannot save data to the xPud file system either.

Honestly, the only thing I can think of is that xPud isn't meant to write data to it's file system. xPud was built for the purpose of cloud-computing in mind, and really isn't meant to be a fully-featured workstation. However, it of course gives you the choice to back-up your data to another file system when you go to shut it down.

You can find the backup utility under the "Settings" menu. Any "obt" packages you download using their obt-get package manager looks like it will need to be backed up to the '/opt' directory. This is discussed on the following forum post xPUD Frequently Asked Questions [FAQ].

Also, it looks like if you get your system just as you want it, you can use their mxkpud tool in order to create a custom built xPud image with all your software on it. Then you can have GRUB boot this custom image so you don't need to save/backup your software or configuration files all the time. Learn more about it here: https://github.com/penk/mkxpud.

This is just my guess however. xPud is still a bit of a mystery to me. If I ever have the need to setup a small kiosk system, or perhaps even a Netbook, I might have to give xPud a shot.

Anyways, perhaps someone else here or on the xPud forums knows a little bit more about it. Also note that there exists a xPud IRC channel at #xpud on FreeNode.

Just Joined!
    actually, thanks for replying, but I fixed it, the link you sent me to the xpud forums was a godsend, now I can automatically log on! thanks!