Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Damn you, iwconfig.

I've battled with this unwieldy, cranky, SOB (no wait, that's me) for years.

Today's saga picks up where in Puppy 5.20 I can get one of those stupid wizards to connect to my WEP 40bit (but only using key [4]?!?! >8\ ), but not the good-ole fashioned way.

Using:

iwconfig eth1 essid "foo" key 0123456789 channel 7

I get back an "Invalid" access point, and an ESSID of "". I've tried the above with "mode managed" (or master); tried it on wifi0 as well; enabled both (or just one) interface with "ifconfig up"; and screaming and flailing.

iwlist shows "foo" with the expected traits, and again, I can do this with the dumb wizard.

So far I've accomplished 4-5 hours of nothing but madness... oh, and scared the dog.

How's your day?

Hmmm, I'm not sure if it's a typo or not, but it appears your trying to connect to a wireless network using your Ethernet adapter (eth0). You can specify the wireless adapter with 'wlan0'.

Try:
    Code:
    iwconfig wlan0 essid foo key 123456789
    I hope this helps

Quote Originally Posted by Nagarjuna View Post
    Hmmm, I'm not sure if it's a typo or not, but it appears your trying to connect to a wireless network using your Ethernet adapter (eth0). You can specify the wireless adapter with 'wlan0'.

Try:
    Code:
    iwconfig wlan0 essid foo key 123456789
    I hope this helps

Thanks for the reply.

Why does it look like my ethernet adapter? Because it's eth1? I mentioned that because that's the name of that adapter, though I confess that I'm not sure whether I'm supposed to use that or the wifi0 handle when working with the wifi card. They seem virtually interchangeable to me--though I'm sure they're not.

In any case, as noted above I did try the commands with wifi0 as well, but to no avail.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close