Find the answer to your Linux question:
Just installed the newest version of Linux Mint, Julia. Everything's workin' great. But it seems there is some trouble with my wireless card. As far as I've researched, it seems ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Realtek, no fixes for this type it seems..

Just installed the newest version of Linux Mint, Julia. Everything's workin' great. But it seems there is some trouble with my wireless card. As far as I've researched, it seems there are no drivers for it yet. But, I'm pretty new to this OS, and I'm sure some long-time users here might know where to find it.

The card my computer is equipped with, is 'Realtek Device 8176'.

Here's my 'lspci'
    Code:
    00:00.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] RS780 Host Bridge Alternate
    00:01.0 PCI bridge: Toshiba America Info Systems Device 9602
    00:04.0 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] RS780 PCI to PCI bridge (PCIE port 0)
    00:06.0 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] RS780 PCI to PCI bridge (PCIE port 2)
    00:11.0 SATA controller: ATI Technologies Inc SB700/SB800 SATA Controller [AHCI mode]
    00:12.0 USB Controller: ATI Technologies Inc SB700/SB800 USB OHCI0 Controller
    00:12.2 USB Controller: ATI Technologies Inc SB700/SB800 USB EHCI Controller
    00:13.0 USB Controller: ATI Technologies Inc SB700/SB800 USB OHCI0 Controller
    00:13.2 USB Controller: ATI Technologies Inc SB700/SB800 USB EHCI Controller
    00:14.0 SMBus: ATI Technologies Inc SBx00 SMBus Controller (rev 41)
    00:14.2 Audio device: ATI Technologies Inc SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA) (rev 40)
    00:14.3 ISA bridge: ATI Technologies Inc SB700/SB800 LPC host controller (rev 40)
    00:14.4 PCI bridge: ATI Technologies Inc SBx00 PCI to PCI Bridge (rev 40)
    00:15.0 PCI bridge: ATI Technologies Inc Device 43a0
    00:16.0 USB Controller: ATI Technologies Inc SB700/SB800 USB OHCI0 Controller
    00:16.2 USB Controller: ATI Technologies Inc SB700/SB800 USB EHCI Controller
    00:18.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 10h Processor HyperTransport Configuration
    00:18.1 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 10h Processor Address Map
    00:18.2 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 10h Processor DRAM Controller
    00:18.3 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 10h Processor Miscellaneous Control
    00:18.4 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 10h Processor Link Control
    01:05.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc M880G [Mobility Radeon HD 4200]
    02:00.0 Network controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. Device 8176 (rev 01)
    08:00.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications AR8152 v1.1 Fast Ethernet (rev c1)
    My 'inxi -N', just incase.
    Code:
    Network:   Card-1 Realtek Device 8176
               Card-2 Atheros AR8152 v1.1 Fast Ethernet driver atl1c
    Hopefully there's a fix for this, and I'll appreciate any helpful answers, of course.
    So, doctors.. B| What's the diagnostic?

Hello and Welcome.
    I think this card uses the 8192 module which is in the "testing area" of the Linux kernel. I don't think it's ready yet but I could be wrong.
    I think you need to use NDISwrapper and the Windows driver.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Hello,

Can you do the following
    Code:
    sudo update-pciids
    And then post the output of
    Code:
    lspci -vnn | grep -a4 -i net
    That should give us a clearer picture of the wireless chipset.

I believe, though, that this uses the rt8192ce driver. Mint Julia is based on Ubuntu 10.10, so you should be able to use this PPA and install the driver for Ubuntu Maverick.

Code:
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:lexical/hwe-wireless
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install rtl8192ce-dkms

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the replies guys, here's what I got.

Code:
    Capabilities: <access denied>
    	Kernel driver in use: radeon
    	Kernel modules: radeon

02:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8188CE 802.11b/g/n WiFi Adapter [10ec:8176] (rev 01)
    	Subsystem: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. Device [10ec:8185]
    	Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 7
    	I/O ports at 7000 [size=256]
    	Memory at f3100000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
    	Capabilities: <access denied>

08:00.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Atheros Communications AR8152 v1.1 Fast Ethernet [1969:2060] (rev c1)
    	Subsystem: Toshiba America Info Systems Device [1179:fdd0]
    	Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 43
    	Memory at f3000000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=256K]
    	I/O ports at 6000 [size=128]
    So then it's RTL8188CE, huh? Seems like I might just have to wait for an update, eh?

I believe the driver link I posted is for both the rt8192ce and 8188ce. So try that.

Otherwise, realtek has a driver on their website, but you'd have to compile it yourself.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/CompilingEasyHowTo

Just Joined!
    Aight bro, I'll give it a shot. *Crosses fingers*

Edit* Nah, didn't seem to work.. I'll go ahead and try compiling one myself. Grr.

Alright so I've downloaded the file and it's got a ReadMe.
    Code:
    2. Compile driver from the source code 

make
    Not really sure how to do this. There are many files with the download, so I'm not exactly sure what file I'm supposed to specify for the 'make' command. Here's a list of what I got:

-base.c
    -base.h
    -cam.c
    -cam.h
    -core.c
    -core.h
    -debug.c
    -debug.h
    -efuse.c
    -efuse.h
    -pci.c
    -pci.h
    -ps.c
    -ps.h
    -rc.c
    -rc.h
    -regd.c
    -regd.h

Don't really think any of those could be it. Then I have:

-Kconfig
    -Makefile
    -wifi.h

Then there's a folder for the driver labeled 'RTL8192CE', which also contains a Makefile. Along with a 'Firmware' folder, just containing the .bin files.

Haha.. Just realised that it's probably the 'Makefile', duh. *Face palm*
    I'll try the Makefile in the root of the folder, if that doesn't work I'll try the Makefile in the RTL folder.
    *Having trouble with the commands. I'm mostly used to Windows CLI. Anybody clarify this for me? Haha.
    Last edited by HomieBwaha; 04-08-2011 at 02:35 AM.

Building a package in Linux is usually simple:

1) First read the README file if there is one. If there is a separate INSTALL file, read that too.

2) Always run make in the top-level directory if there is a Makefile there. The other Makefiles are satellites. Typically free software packages don't have ready-made Makefiles but a proprietary package like this one doesn't always follow the rules.

3) If there isn't a Makefile but there is a Makefile.in, you need to run ./configure first. Again you run it in the top-level directory. This will create all the Makefiles. Then run make.

4) To actually install the program, you need to be root (use su or sudo to get root access). Then type make install.

The .c files contain the actual source code for the driver; the .h files are headers containing function definitions.

Good luck!
    "I'm just a little old lady; don't try to dazzle me with jargon!"

Just Joined!
    Ah! I got it. Thank you all for the help. And thank you Hazel for the small explanation, I appreciate it.
    The problem I was having was that, I didn't know I had to run a terminal from the folder, and also apparentally you cannot use the command 'make' while root? Strange but didn't work. Had to be a regular user.
    Thanks again everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by HomieBwaha View Post
    Ah! I got it. Thank you all for the help. And thank you Hazel for the small explanation, I appreciate it.
    The problem I was having was that, I didn't know I had to run a terminal from the folder, and also apparentally you cannot use the command 'make' while root? Strange but didn't work. Had to be a regular user.
    Thanks again everyone.
    So, you got the card working after compiling the source yourself? That's awesome. Feel free to mark this thread as solved from the "Thread Tools" link at the top of this forum, if everything has been solved.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Linux Newbie
    Yes it does -

Code:
    Realtek 8187 and 8187B USB support
    Ensure to install firmware-linux package.