Find the answer to your Linux question:
My card works fine in windows on the same computer. I did do this process somehow once before when I first got ubuntu up and running on this same installation, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

cant get linksys card to be seen at all

My card works fine in windows on the same computer. I did do this process somehow once before when I first got ubuntu up and running on this same installation, but now I have changed over to 11.04 64 bit version from 10.04 32bit version. It was a completely new install. I am not so sure I like the new format but I will give it a try for now.
    I cannot seem to get the linksys card to activate at all in ubuntu now. I tried ifconfig
    wlan0 up and it told me ken@ken-desktop:~$ sudo ifconfig wlan0 up
    wlan0: ERROR while getting interface flags: No such device
    ken@ken-desktop:~$
    then I also tried this:
    ken@ken-desktop:~$ sudo ifconfig wlan0 up
    wlan0: ERROR while getting interface flags: No such device
    ken@ken-desktop:~$ iwlist wlan0 scan
    wlan0 Interface doesn't support scanning.
    So it seems my main issue is that I have a wireless card and the drivers for it in linux but I cannot seem to get the card to be seen at all by ubuntu this time. Is there any way to do what I used to be able to do in windows? I would go into device manager and be able to install the driver easily from there....... well not always so easily of course.
    It is quite frustrating and I am not so good at command line now days

Start here and post your results please.
    http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/wir...tart-here.html
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Just Joined!
    I can already see why ndiswrapper does not work for me to install the linksys driver the way it did before because I have installed the 64 bit Ubuntu now and the ndiswrapper seems to be for 32 bit.
    Can you tell me how to fix this so I can have the driver install for my card? I know I did it this way in 32 bit Ubuntu and it worked wonderfully but I am not sure how to proceed now. I will be on later to see if there is a comment.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by electroken View Post
    I can already see why ndiswrapper does not work for me to install the linksys driver the way it did before because I have installed the 64 bit Ubuntu now and the ndiswrapper seems to be for 32 bit.
    Can you tell me how to fix this so I can have the driver install for my card? I know I did it this way in 32 bit Ubuntu and it worked wonderfully but I am not sure how to proceed now. I will be on later to see if there is a comment.
    As long as you use the 64bit Windows driver on 64 bit OS, you should be good.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.

Just Joined!
    Hi Mike,
    Does the ndiswrapper itself need to be a 64bit version? Or is there no difference in them when I do download it from the ubuntu site?

There is probably a difference but when you install a 64Bit OS, all your repos are pointed at 64 Bit software. So unless you installed a downloaded 32 bit .deb file or something, NDISWrapper should be 64 Bit already.

Just Joined!
    Hey Mike,
    I get the following when I look into the log:
    138.770139] ndiswrapper (check_nt_hdr:141): kernel is 64-bit, but Windows driver is not 64-bit;bad magic: 010B
    [ 138.770154] ndiswrapper (load_sys_files:206): couldn't prepare driver 'netani'
    [ 138.771033] ndiswrapper (load_wrap_driver:10: couldn't load driver netani; check system log for messages from 'loadndisdriver'

I presume I need to obtain the 64 bit driver for my card and I guess I will try the ndiswrapper site to see if I can do that. Gosh I have found another consequence of using 64bit OS and I thought it would be more like some program might not work.
    I will post later on what I find and if this now will work ok on wireless.