Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am using Ubuntu 10.04 with the following details: Laptop Model: Advent 5431 Ubuntu Version: 10.10 Wireless Brand Realtek RTL8187SE Wireless type: 802.11b/g Link Quality: 73/100 Signal level: -44 dBm ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Internet Connections shown but not connecting

I am using Ubuntu 10.04 with the following details:

Laptop Model: Advent 5431
    Ubuntu Version: 10.10
    Wireless Brand Realtek RTL8187SE
    Wireless type: 802.11b/g
    Link Quality: 73/100
    Signal level: -44 dBm
    Noise level (no idea what this means, thought it might be helpful ): -102 dBm

The connections are shown but when I click them and enter the password they do not connect and just go back to the wireless symbol with the exclamation mark. The connection works fine in windows but not in ubuntu.

Have you gone to System > Preferences > Network connections and set up your wireless? Have you gone to System > Administration > Additional drivers and checked for additional drivers needed?
    Registered Linux user #526930

when you sure to click on the correct wireless connection you have the proper password
    you still may need to know WHAT type of security is needed. in windows this usually is done / recognized automatically
    in linux depending on precise network connection tools you use,
    you may have to manually select
    WEP
    WPA
    WPA2
    or other options depending on available security options in your configuration/connection tool

hence if for example you have ALL 3 a.m. security protocols and have no precise knowledge what is in use
    try connect in any of the security versions using the same correct password

another option might be to connect under windows
    and see if you recognize the security scheme used (WEP/WPA/WPA2, etc) in any of the win tools you have