Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hey guys i m runnin backtrack 4 on vmware virtual machine and i dont know the comands to get my wifi card going when i type in airmon -ng my ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

I cant get backtrack 4 to recognise my wifi card

Hey guys i m runnin backtrack 4 on vmware virtual machine and i dont know the comands to get my wifi card going when i type in airmon -ng my interface chipset and driver are showing nothing
    some help much apretiacted thanks,,,

Linux Guru
    You should probably look at the documentation for VMware. The hardware your virtual machine sees is *not* the actual hardware on the system. Your wifi card is not seen by the VM. You would only be able to use a USB wireless adapter in a VM using the USB pass-through capabilities of VMware. Additionally the forum has a sticky about where to start with wireless adapters.

Just Joined!
    ahh ok thanks men apreciated, beek programers from holand beek comunity,

Just Joined!
    You will need to install guest editions. Machine --> Install Guest Editions (or Host + D) (In VirtualBox, I'm not 100% about VMWare but I know it has something similar; personally I prefer VirtualBox over VMWare anyway),
    also, I'd highly recommend upgrading to BT5 since it has finally been released and is more up to date that BT4 which is 3 or 4 years old by now.

Also you will need to configure your host WiFi card in bridged mode, not natted mode. Natting your interface will prevent you from effectively capturing Wireless packets.

For reference BT4 is based on Ubuntu 8.10 whilst BT5 is based on Ubuntu 11.04

Just Joined!

Ok Interesting discovery

hey guys thanks for your responses also about virtual box ,,,
    basically i booted backtrack5 in vmware and it recognises my wifi card perfect i can browse the internet in in bactrack 5
    i dident change any seting or anything yest booted up bt 5 in vmware and open browser and online i am,,,

,something that in backtrack 4 i couldent,
    also another thing is that if i change my vm network settings from nat ,, to bridged in order to be able to capture paquets with a usb external "wifi card" it no longer able to surf,,,
    also some recomendations on external wifi cards would be nice im looking to get the,,,,
    (( PCMCIA wifi card Ubiquity SRC Super Range 300mW )),,,
    with after tested along with 5 top network adapters seems to be the most adecuate for the job ,,, heres the testing results link ,,,
    [www airodump.net/testing-wifi-cards-wireless-hacking/]Testing]Testing 5 wireless cards for wifi hacking | Remote Security[/url] 5 wireless cards for wifi hacking | Remote Security[/url]

so please share ur knoledge and experiences,,, All the best
    Beek programers comunity holland

Just Joined!
    also what command do you need in order to bring up your (wifi card) details because im connected but when i type aimon-ng it still shows nothing inn interface ,chipset nd driver,, but im surfing the net at the same time,,, thanks

Linux Guru
    basically i booted backtrack5 in vmware and it recognises my wifi card perfect i can browse the internet in in bactrack 5
    1) You didn't read the VMware documentation, did you? BT5 does NOT see your wifi card. BT5 sees a generic wired NIC. VMware is passing data from the VM to the "real" NIC (wired or wireless) so that you reach external networks. Use the lspci command in BT5 and you will see a wired NIC listed and no wireless NIC.

also another thing is that if i change my vm network settings from nat ,, to bridged in order to be able to capture paquets with a usb external "wifi card" it no longer able to surf
    2) You can't use "bridged" mode for the VM NIC in VMware if the host's NIC is a wireless NIC.

also some recomendations on external wifi cards
    3) I will say it again - you will only be able to use a wireless NIC in a VM by "passing" a USB device into the VM. You can Google for "backtrack vmware usb wireless."

Just Joined!

bridged or nat?

ok in the video is it bridge or nat?.

Linux Guru
    also some recomendations on external wifi cards
    3) I will say it again - you will only be able to use a wireless NIC in a VM by "passing" a USB device into the VM. You can Google for "backtrack vmware usb wireless."
    Neither - a USB device from the host is attached to the VM. I think I've done as much as I can in this thread. Good luck.

Just Joined!
    ahh ok men i understand it thanks ,,, thanks alot for your info ,,, best regards ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast