Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, Hoping someone will help me. I have used a few versions of Ubuntu and never had a problem before I tried "Natty". I have very little knowledge of how ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

no wireless/no internet Ubuntu 11.04

Hi,

Hoping someone will help me. I have used a few versions of Ubuntu and never had a problem before I tried "Natty". I have very little knowledge of how to use command line other than what I can copy/paste so please bear with me, ok?

I upgraded to 11.04 and it never booted right again, resorted to starting with a fresh HDD. Installed on the new drive and all went well this time with the exception of the wireless kept losing the connection. (had never been an issue with previous installs of any kind).
    So I went to the forums and found many people saying how network manager was often dropping connections and that Wicd worked much better. Also repeatedly read that it didn't work right until the NM was uninstalled. So I tried it. Wicd installed but never connected and I kept getting "d-bus" error. Tried to read on how to fix it but the solutions were either way over my head or involved software I didn't have. So currently I have no internet b/c I have no wired connection (I live w/ family and can't run a wired connection) But I have access to another computer and a pendrive so I then tried to install wifi radar hoping that would at least get me online. I seem to keep running into errors. My system is a custom built desktop w/ an Asus mobo. I'll attach a copy of what I learned on how to get the specifics of my hardware, it but it's loooong. Sorry! I also copied the errors I got trying to install both wicd and wifi radar in hopes that someone can get me online without having to reintall my os all over again. Anyone please?

Thanks in advance!

Kris

It won't let me attach my .docs- it says they're all too many KB except for one- the wi-fi radar error. Not sure how to do this....I could post specifics if you want certain pieces?
    Attached Files Attached Files

Code:
    Selecting previously deselected package wifi-radar. 
    (Reading database ... 161553 files and directories currently installed.) 
    Unpacking wifi-radar (from wifi-radar_2.0.s05-1.2_all.deb) ... 
    dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of wifi-radar: 
     wifi-radar depends on menu; however: 
      Package menu is not installed. 
    dpkg: error processing wifi-radar (--install): 
     dependency problems - leaving unconfigured 
    Processing triggers for man-db ... 
    Processing triggers for bamfdaemon ... 
    Rebuilding /usr/share/applications/bamf.index... 
    Processing triggers for desktop-file-utils ... 
    Processing triggers for python-gmenu ... 
    Rebuilding /usr/share/applications/desktop.en_US.utf8.cache... 
    Processing triggers for python-support ... 
    Errors were encountered while processing: 
     wifi-radar 

kris@kris-System-Product-Name:~$ cd /home/kris 
    kris@kris-System-Product-Name:~$ sudo dpkg -i wifi-radar_2.0.s05.orig.tar.gz 
    [sudo] password for kris: 
    dpkg-deb: error: `wifi-radar_2.0.s05.orig.tar.gz' is not a debian format archive 
    dpkg: error processing wifi-radar_2.0.s05.orig.tar.gz (--install): 
     subprocess dpkg-deb --control returned error exit status 2 
    Errors were encountered while processing: 
     wifi-radar_2.0.s05.orig.tar.gz
    Hmmm. Looks like wifi radar was not installed for starters.

resorted to starting with a fresh HDD. Installed on the new drive and all went well this time with the exception of the wireless kept losing the connection. (had never been an issue with previous installs of any kind).
    Losing it by drops or just weak signal. I run wicd and my wireless interface is wlan0.

Code:
    ~$ inxi -n
    Network:   Card-1: 3Com 3c556B CardBus [Tornado] driver: 3c59x 
               IF: eth0 state: down speed: 10 Mbps duplex: half mac: 00:edited by me
               Card-2: Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI driver: rt61pci 
               IF: wlan0 state: up mac: 00:edited by me
    If wondering how I got the above readout

inxi - A newer, better system information script for irc, administration, and system troubleshooters. - Google Project Hosting

Install

Installation - inxi - How to install inxi using a variety of methods. - A newer, better system information script for irc, administration, and system troubleshooters. - Google Project Hosting

Works in Ubuntu.

Yet Another Technology Site: INXI Yes you can install it in Ubuntu

You have uninstalled Network Manager and are running Wicd. You might want to uninstall Wicd and go back with Network Manager since it was working with wireless before. Just dropping the connection intermittently from what I gather from your post. If you get online again.

https://help.ubuntu.com/11.04/ubuntu...eshooting.html

Use the next in the top r/h corner of site page to read through on what you might need to do to trouble shoot wireless in Ubuntu 11. I don't use Network Manager, Ubuntu 11, or even know what hardware you are using for wireless from your post. So this is the best I can do for you.

Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home