Find the answer to your Linux question:
When I saw waterhead's script, after lots and lots of searching I thought this is the place to finally get the adapter working. I am running Ubuntu 10.04, under the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

LB-Link 54Mbps 802.11 b/g Wireless USB adapter and Ubuntu Lucid Lynx

When I saw waterhead's script, after lots and lots of searching I thought this is the place to finally get the adapter working.

I am running Ubuntu 10.04, under the name of EasyPeasy, on an ASUS EeePC 701 netbook. I have already tried editing blacklist.conf by adding rt2800usb, but that didn't work so I commented it out, plugged the adapter in, and ran waterhead's WirelessSetup script, with the output to be attached here.

So, if someone could take a look at wireless_setup.txt, and please let me know, where do I go from here? Is any more info needed, or does the file give it all?
    Attached Files Attached Files

Hello and Welcome!

From the look of it, you should already have one working wireless device. The built-in chip.

I'm not familiar with Easy Peasy's graphical layout, but you might have an option in your System menu that will search for additional drivers.
    If you can't locate that, take a look at this page: Ubuntu Linux: Install RT2870 Chipset Based USB Wireless Adapter
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Just Joined!

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by jayd512 View Post
    Hello and Welcome!

From the look of it, you should already have one working wireless device. The built-in chip.
    Code:
    01:00.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Atheros Communications Inc. AR5001 Wireless Network Adapter [168c:001c] (rev 01)
    	Kernel driver in use: ath5k
    	Kernel modules: ath5k
    03:00.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Atheros Communications L2 100 Mbit Ethernet Adapter [1969:2048] (rev a0)
    	Kernel driver in use: atl2
    	Kernel modules: atl2
    Yes, of course, you are correct. And it's working fine. But the only way, or the easiest way, I can think of to get a higher-gain antenna on the netbook is with a USB wireless adapter. During my attempts to get the USB adapter to show up in NetworkManager I have been powering-off the internal card with the built-in keyboard hotkey shortcut. Otherwise, the manager applet tends to keep 'going to' the internal card, and then I may not know which is working.

Incidentally, after turning the internal card's power off, then enabling Wireless on NetworkManager's drop-down menu, I have been able to see my wireless modem-router's name appear. Since the internal card is then 'off', that must be coming through the USB adapter, no?

But the 'wireless icon' in the System Tray keeps 'pulsing' as if there's no data communication going on. I did get a prompt for the wireless router's WPA Passphrase, put that in, but the icon keeps on 'pulsing' -- unlike when my internal card locks on to the signal, and the icon goes solid. And, the proof is, when I run the browser, websites won't load.

I'm not familiar with Easy Peasy's graphical layout, but you might have an option in your System menu that will search for additional drivers.
    I'm certain I could get to run that, but could you give an exact name for this? The default graphical front-end is Launcher, but one may get to a normal Ubuntu-style app menu with <Alt-f1> so I could see anything you may mention. And then, there's the Command Line, and that always works ... so your suggestion will be welcome.

If I pull out the USB adapter, and power-up the netbook's internal card, everything goes back to normal.

To rule out an adapter malfunction, I loaded the adapter's MS-compatible driver and software into a system running MS Windows, and it works fine -- pulling in many more signals than with the netbook's internal antenna and card.

If you can't locate that [driver-finding utility], take a look at this page:

*** REDACTED ***
    to comply with forum regulations.
    Thanks much for the link (in your post) and I will go directly to that while waiting to locate the driver-finding utility you mentioned. Even if this isn't already in EasyPeasy (it's 'slimmed down' for the 701's SSD) I can always find it and install it ... if I have its name.

I've purposely given a bit more than you asked, in the event you may see another way of accomplishing the task.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    I have just followed the steps in the link-which-has-no-name to the very end and now I'm going to run Clonezilla before I touch anything.

But for anyone following this thread, be sure to read down to the September 15 post in Vivek Gite's excellent tutorial, with special reference to the (current) last post in 'the link I can't post'. The author, carlivar, claims his directions do everything in the tutorial, but by using DKMS, Dynamic Kernel Management System.

I have never heard DKMS before, but the author says this prevents everything you've done -- to get the wireless working -- from breaking, every time there's a kernel upgrade. Vivek does refer to this problem, by answering the question, 'what do you do if there's a kernel upgrade' by essentially saying, your wireless stops, and you go back to step #1.

Not having to do that sounds good to me ... so I will start there, and learn about DKMS.

I will mark this thread [Resolved]* for now and re-open it should the directions fail.
    Thanks, jayd512, for pointing me in the right direction.
    Last edited by RCam; 09-28-2011 at 11:50 PM.