Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, My distro is RHEL4. I want to dialup by wireless usb win modem which requires usb_modeswitch. But usb_modeswitch not installing in RHEL4. Is there any another way to solve ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

wireless usb modem in rhel4

Hi,

My distro is RHEL4. I want to dialup by wireless usb win modem which requires usb_modeswitch. But usb_modeswitch not installing in RHEL4. Is there any another way to solve the problem?
    My modem is Micromax MMX310g.

Please help.

Goutam

Trusted Penguin
    Have you tried to download the source and compile/install it manually via these instructions?

Just Joined!
    Thanks for response.
    Yes but I failed. I also tried sakis3g. No success. Now I want to try it with any other method.

Goutam

Trusted Penguin
    Well, if you can upgrade to RHEL/CentOS 5 (or 6 for that matter), you'd have the package available as a pre-built binary. At least I see that Dag has made one (ver 1.1.5) for RHEL5, e.g.

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the suggestion. But at my work place I cant upgrade RHEL4. I want to try it in a different way. I mean to say other than usb_modeswitch option.

Goutam

Trusted Penguin
    Okay, so what is it you need to do, exactly? I have never used usb_modeswitch, so I don't really know.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by atreyu View Post
    Okay, so what is it you need to do, exactly? I have never used usb_modeswitch, so I don't really know.
    I need the usb wireless modem will be recognized as a modem in RHEL4 not as a storage device / cd-rom.

I don't want to use usb_modeswitch for the purpose. If there is any other approach to do the same.