Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello guys (and gals). I gotta pickle here: Just got an old Presario and put Ubuntu 11.10 on it today (switched to linux today after XP's boot process got messed ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Presario c700 wont play nice with linksys wireless

Hello guys (and gals). I gotta pickle here:

Just got an old Presario and put Ubuntu 11.10 on it today (switched to linux today after XP's boot process got messed up for the last time).

Anyway, the poor comps been knocked around by my ex-girlfriend quite a bit (It takes like 5 minutes to get past the BIOS but then it boots Linux fine).

So here's the deal:

I got the internet up and working at my friends house right after I got Ubuntu running, and everything worked fine. I was on the internet.

So then I get home hoping to get online and BAM! Nothin.

I can connect to my network, but only as a "Local Only" or "Shared something" connection, any other type of connection just keeps trying to connect over and over again, and depending on the settings I use, it sometimes keeps prompting me for the password to the network.

Anyway so yes the computer works as does it's wireless card. But it wont get on the internet via my wireless network.

And here's the real kicker: Before I put Ubuntu on here, my ex had the same problem at my house with Vista. She could connect to the internet from pretty much anywhere except my house.

So to hopefully save you guys some time I ran "nm-tool", it says it detects a Broadcom 802.11g thing. And it sees the wireless network I'm trying to get on (and many others).

When I'm running under the standard settings (Auto detect DCHP - or whatever the first choice that usually works is) it seems to hang on the phrase:

State: Getting IP configuration

And then it just gives up and tries again.

Does anyone have any thoughts about this?

The last bit of info I have is that it is possible that my dad my have changed the wireless password I'm on right now and I simply forgot, if that were the case, would I still be able to get a "Local Only" connection with an IP and everything?

And I have one more question~

We just got one of those Clear 4g mobil USB things, and if I can't get this sucker to work on Linksys, can I just start using that with Ubuntu? My research there points me towards "no", but all the info was quite dated so I'm hoping somebody released a driver or something.

Anyway, sorry if I was a bit wordy, and thanks for any help you guys can provide.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    What is your girlfriend's router and configuration, and then what is yours? What is the SSID of your access point? When you right click on the network icon what do you see?
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Luck View Post
    Hello guys (and gals). I gotta pickle here:

Just got an old Presario and put Ubuntu 11.10 on it today (switched to linux today after XP's boot process got messed up for the last time).

Anyway, the poor comps been knocked around by my ex-girlfriend quite a bit (It takes like 5 minutes to get past the BIOS but then it boots Linux fine).
    Suggest you get a new girlfriend thats pc/laptop complient!

Quote Originally Posted by Luck View Post
    So here's the deal:

I got the internet up and working at my friends house right after I got Ubuntu running, and everything worked fine. I was on the internet.

So then I get home hoping to get online and BAM! Nothin.

I can connect to my network, but only as a "Local Only" or "Shared something" connection, any other type of connection just keeps trying to connect over and over again, and depending on the settings I use, it sometimes keeps prompting me for the password to the network.

Anyway so yes the computer works as does it's wireless card. But it wont get on the internet via my wireless network.

And here's the real kicker: Before I put Ubuntu on here, my ex had the same problem at my house with Vista. She could connect to the internet from pretty much anywhere except my house.

So to hopefully save you guys some time I ran "nm-tool", it says it detects a Broadcom 802.11g thing. And it sees the wireless network I'm trying to get on (and many others).

When I'm running under the standard settings (Auto detect DCHP - or whatever the first choice that usually works is) it seems to hang on the phrase:

State: Getting IP configuration

And then it just gives up and tries again.
    Yep, got the same issue here - it's just some strange incompatibility between your wireless card and access point which stops auto DHCP from working. Workaround is simply to manually configure the IP address, gateway and DNS settings for that wireless card and it should be sweet again

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close