Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Originally Posted by jayd512 Since the adapter name has changed along with the drivers, try this one again: Code: sudo rfkill list all If anything is labeled with a yes ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Quote Originally Posted by jayd512 View Post
    Since the adapter name has changed along with the drivers, try this one again:
    Code:
    sudo rfkill list all
    If anything is labeled with a yes, do:
    Code:
    sudo rfkill unblock all
    No, nothing labeled with a yes.

Is there anyway to change ra0 to wlan0?

Quote Originally Posted by ClayDough View Post
    Is there anyway to change ra0 to wlan0?
    There's no need to do that. The naming convention is, I believe, handled by the drivers in use, and makes no difference in actual functionality.

This is quite confusing, though... it appears as though everything should be working now.
    Is there any type of 'on/off' toggle switch for your wireless card?
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Just Joined!
    Is there any type of 'on/off' toggle switch for your wireless card?
    No I don't see an on/off toggle switch. And it's working right now with Win XP.

I ask about changing to wlan0 because when it became ra0 I lost the wireless tab in the network settings gui. It only shows the wired connection tab.
    Just a stab in the dark from my end.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    After finding several blog posts, I think I might have found the problem. And a way to fix it, if you're willing to do some digging.
    Looking here and here is what gave me the clue. It seems that this driver (RT3562STA) has 2 things disabled that we need to be enabled.
    In one of my earlier posts, post #29, I had you build the driver. We need to get back to the directory where you initially downloaded the package.
    After you did:
    Code:
    tar -zxvf <filename>
    you should have had a list of files and one new directory. cd to that directory.
    Once there, do this:
    Code:
    nano os/linux/config.mk
    This will open up the config file in the nano editor.
    Look for both if these:
    Code:
    HAS_WPA_SUPPLICANT=n

HAS_NATIVE_WPA_SUPPLICANT_SUPPORT=n
    Change them both to have a y. When you do that, hit Ctrl+x, y and <Enter>. This will save the changes.
    Still with me here? We're almost there!

Now, do:
    Code:
    ./configure
    make
    su -       <enter root password>
    make install
    Reboot and let's see what we have.
    MikeTbob likes this.
    Jay

New Member FAQ
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Just Joined!
    BOOYA! We have liftoff!

Jay, MikeTbob, and Rubberman, thanks for stickin' with me and getting this to work. You're geniuses! (And I'm giddy with elation, LOL.)

Now I can sit back and enjoy downloading updates for Mint 12 for the next couple of hours.

Thanks so much! I've been unemployed for awhile now, and spending $20 on a new Linux natively compatible network adapter is more than my means.

I would really like to give back to the folks on this forum. My Linux knowledge is not much, but if I can contribute in some way I would really like to.

Thanks again.

- Clay

So it's working?

I have to say, though, major kudos to you for sticking with it! A lot of folks out there would have turned back at the first few signs of trouble.
    Great job!
    Jay

New Member FAQ

Quote Originally Posted by ClayDough View Post
    BOOYA! We have liftoff!

Jay, MikeTbob, and Rubberman, thanks for stickin' with me and getting this to work. You're geniuses! (And I'm giddy with elation, LOL.)

Now I can sit back and enjoy downloading updates for Mint 12 for the next couple of hours.

Thanks so much! I've been unemployed for awhile now, and spending $20 on a new Linux natively compatible network adapter is more than my means.

I would really like to give back to the folks on this forum. My Linux knowledge is not much, but if I can contribute in some way I would really like to.

Thanks again.

- Clay
    Awesome!! Jay is correct, most people with very little Linux knowledge would have fled the scene a long time ago. Your persistence has paid off.
    You have already contributed buddy, by getting this fixed and posting all your info, a lot of people will find this info extremely useful. Thanks for sticking with it. And beware, once you update to a newer kernel, it might delete the driver you just built and you'll have to build it again, this just a guess.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

So it's working?

I have to say, though, major kudos to you for sticking with it! A lot of folks out there would have turned back at the first few signs of trouble.
    Great job!
    You knocked this one outta the ball park Jay, good job.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeTbob View Post
    You knocked this one outta the ball park Jay, good job.
    I just wanna make something clear... I've never had to get in there and change the config files for a driver.
    So I'm just as thrilled as Clay is that this worked!

After that, I would have been clean out of ideas!
    Jay

New Member FAQ

Just Joined!

Thumbs up

Awesome!! Jay is correct, most people with very little Linux knowledge would have fled the scene a long time ago. Your persistence has paid off.
    I love Linux. If my Win XP had been the OS with this problem, I don't think I would cared that much. As I learn more about Linux my goal is to leave the Windows world behind. Forever.

You have already contributed buddy, by getting this fixed and posting all your info, a lot of people will find this info extremely useful.
    Just to add to the info for anyone following this thread:

When I was compiling the correct driver, the "./configure" command error'ed out. I saw that there was a Makefile in the directory, and so proceeded with the "make" command onward.
    I might have just got lucky, but it worked.

I read that some people also find it useful to blacklist the usb driver "rt2800usb" as well.

[snip] And beware, once you update to a newer kernel, it might delete the driver you just built and you'll have to build it again, this just a guess.
    I'm going to make this entire thread a PDF and keep it archived for future use! Thanks for the heads up.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast