Find the answer to your Linux question:
After an intense search - an all nighter - that this particular Realtek card and the driver rt18192se does not play with linux and if I want this laptop to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    tlm
    Just Joined!

Mint 12.......... rt18192se

After an intense search - an all nighter - that this particular Realtek card and the driver rt18192se
    does not play with linux and if I want this laptop to have wireless then I'll have to load microsoft
    into it again.

If this were the only problem - I probably could live with it. But the image on the screen is larger than the screen. This particular forum and others, by the amount of white space on the left side or about six inches to big. I cannot get the Windows 7 drivers that Gateways actually list as Linux to install.

I cannot find the solved switch.
    Last edited by tlm; 12-03-2011 at 03:46 PM. Reason: clarification/realization

Just Joined!
    Have you checked the bug lists? If a workaround is found it should be listed there. Or, armed with the chipset information and the drivers provided, enter a new bug if one isn't already found.

Your journey could help others! So, what's the chipset and laptop?

Linux Newbie
    I'm using that adapter and the realtek driver right now. You'll need the kernel-headers and, if I recall correctly the kernel-devel package as well. I use Fedora, so I'll leave you to figure out the apt-get commands to install those two packages. After that it's just a matter of the usual, configure, make, and makeinstall.

Linux Newbie
    Turns out that you don't need the devel package, in fact that didn't make sense when I think about it, here is my post on the subject from the Fedora Forums.

tlm
    Just Joined!
    I didn't realize that I could make my own driver. Turns out that - and I've been using the WRT54G for a couple of years now but this was the first time that I had anything that would use the wifi - turns out that you can't mix the two - and that's what I was trying to do, two computers to the ethernet and my phone and a laptop using wifi - ha! doesn't work. And as far as the screen problem that was just a driver update.

I'm going to check out your post and figure this out.

Thanks for responding but I'm going to mark this closed - don't have the time at the moment to work on this.