Find the answer to your Linux question:
Okay im going to start off with a little info about myself. I am a pretty experienced user inside the windows environment but im attending college for computer forensics. Now ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Belkin F9L1101v1 and aricrack HELP??!?

Okay im going to start off with a little info about myself. I am a pretty experienced user inside the windows environment but im attending college for computer forensics. Now onto my problem. I am extremely new to Linux and have installed backtrack 5 in order to have something I can learn more about my major on. It installed and runs pretty smoothly except i cannot get my wireless card to configure for aircrack specifically monitor and inject modes. I bought a Belkin F9L1101v1 and just to clarify after countless hours on Google and reading through forums I decided to open up the wireless card and look at the chip set myself and it is a RTK8188SU, and to the best of my knowledge it should support both monitor and injection, but even though it is installed and running i cannot get any commands in aircrack to work and after hours and hours of searching I am left stumped.....any help or pointers in the right direction are very much appreciated by a military man and his self development. thank you

Just Joined!
    any help? anything?

Hello and Welcome.
    I have not used aircrack yet so any help I can offer will just be guesses.
    Do you need or have you tried running it with su - or sudo?
    Have you check the output of dmesg?
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Just Joined!
    Went back to ubuntu through wubi...just posted a new thread in ubuntu forums about how to get the applications from BT5 into ubuntu hopefully someone will know

Just Joined!

"iw list" command

Try the "iw list" command. I'm fairly sure BT has it. You can do a "apt-get install iw" to install on any Ubuntu or Debian based system. Look for output section like this:

Supported interface modes:
    * IBSS
    * managed
    * AP
    * AP/VLAN
    * monitor
    * mesh point

It will have to say "monitor" mode for you to use any wireless packing sniffing programs like airdump or kismet. The "monitor" mode has to be supported by both the hardware and the kernel module. Atheros and Ralink chips have pretty good support for this in Linux.