Find the answer to your Linux question:
Most of the time, I have a reasonable download speed of between 5-8 Mbps. This morning when I tried to download a 126 MB file, It has been 20 minutes ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Help please, download speed in BYTES.

Most of the time, I have a reasonable download speed of between 5-8 Mbps. This morning when I tried to download a 126 MB file, It has been 20 minutes and it is about 2/3 of the way downloaded. My download speed is ranging from 25 bytes/s to 80 Kbps with occasional spikes up to 300Kbps.

Anything you think I could do?

Thanks,
    Kopkins

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    Busy server at the other end?
    Lots of contention on the line?
    "I used to be with it, then they changed what it was.
    Now what was it isn't it, and what is it is weird and scary to me.
    It'll happen to you too."

Grandpa Simpson

The Fifth Continent

Is this the only file or site that give you a slower than normal download speed?
    If so, then it's as elija said.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    It was a couple sites. But I linked to them all from the same other webpage. They were all just slow. My speed today is 5mbps

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    What is your hardware connection to the internet, DSL, cable, wireless, ? I have had similar problems with my 6mbps DSL connection, and if it persists for more that a few minutes, it has usually been traced back to a line fault, or equipment problem somewhere off-premises. What have you done to help diagnose the problem? Have you contacted your provider? Mine (AT&T) can determine if there is a problem on the line up to my house, although there have been times when that was not sufficient (such as when there was a ground fault at the terminal outside the house) and they had to do more extensive diagnostics.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    In any case, I ALWAYS monitor my internet speed, and when it drops, I look to see if my wife is uploading some videos (REALLY slows stuff down!), or whatever. If not, then I look deeper.

Just Joined!
    Thanks, everything is working fine now. I think it was the other end of the connection which was slowing it. all downloads I did today were up to speed.

Kopkins

Quote Originally Posted by Kopkins View Post
    Thanks, everything is working fine now. I think it was the other end of the connection which was slowing it. all downloads I did today were up to speed.

Kopkins
    Well, as some unknown engineer once said, "Sometimes, sh!t just happens!"...

Quote Originally Posted by Rubberman View Post
    Well, as some unknown engineer once said, "Sometimes, sh!t just happens!"...
    could also be known knowns, or known unknowns..