Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hi, I installed Fedora 16 from DVD and the wifi PCI-card or is recognized but doesn't able to connect or wifi doesn't recognized. I googled and I found no answers ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Fresh Fedora install and Wifi doesn't able to connect

Hi,
    I installed Fedora 16 from DVD and the wifi PCI-card or is recognized but doesn't able to connect or wifi doesn't recognized.
    I googled and I found no answers to my problem. I hope you can help me.
    Thanks
    Attached Files Attached Files

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Did you visit Welcome - Linux Wireless They have a plethora of information, drivers, links, and such for getting just about any wireless gear working with just about any Linux distribution.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    Hi Rubberman,
    I did visit the Welcome-Linux Wireless and did what the link said to: I did all codes and copied and pasted everything in the WirelessSetup.txt attached with my first thread thinking that someone could read and give me some light cause I couldn't get my Atheros wifi PCI-card connecting to my homespot. Sorry but I'm really new in Linux world, I learn fast but the manipulations to get this card working didn't work. I saw that in the iwconfig code it says power management off and I don't know what it really means as the wifi card is recognized; And I don't know how to turn it on. Do you realize that to someone that knows Linux for 7 days sometimes it's hard, and very hard, to manage everything in Fedora's world alone and I don't want to go to Ubuntu to have this "home made" or "plug and go" things. I really want to learn but, in the other hand, I don't want to disturb the guys that have more knowledge. Sailing alone in Fedora? I think it's not the proposal. But thanks to your aswer and have a nice day
    Mauricio (PS: sorry for my English, Since 10 years I speak no more English)

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Well, we are here to be disturbed! Of course, my wife says that I AM disturbed! Actually, last night she said I was crazy, to which I replied "Dear, you knew that when we got married! You know that I got it from my parents!", to which she replied "Yes, what was I thinking?!"... Anyway, if you have some patience, you will probably get it going. So, first let me look at the file you attached with the system information output. I see you are using Fedora 16. Since this is a mini-pci-express device, I assume it was plugged in when you booted the laptop?
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

You mention running from the DVD. Is this installed to the hard drive? Or running live?
    Either way, it seems that your card is there, and loaded.
    Code:
    02:00.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Atheros Communications Inc. AR242x / AR542x Wireless Network Adapter (PCI-Express) [168c:001c] (rev 01)
    	Subsystem: AzureWave AR5007EG 802.11bg Wi-Fi mini PCI express card [1a3b:1026]
    	Kernel driver in use: ath5k
    	Kernel modules: ath5k
    In your GUI, you should have a Network Manager icon. Probably top right corner.
    Is your wireless activated? If so, does it detect any networks?
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Just Joined!
    Hi guys,
    first of all thank you for your patience. Iīll answer to both of you so: the mini-pci-express device came attached with my laptop and boot with it. I installed fedora 16 on my hard drive and erased Windows (blearg!!!). I see it on my Network Manager BUT sometimes I cannot activate it and another times I can activate ir but it doesnīt connect. It asks for my Wifi key, try to connect and than asks once more the key. Iīm surfing the web with an old cable. I went, as I told Rubberman, to the Wireless section but I couldnīt find the necessaries infos that the site asked for. Every night and day I google it to see if I can find an answer or someone that had had the same problem.
    I know that I, with your help, will resolve this issue and I really appreciate it.
    Mauricio
    another question: is it normal that Fedora crashes sometimes when a webpage plants? Is it a bug?

When you are trying to connect, you must disable the Wired connection before you can assign an IP to the WIFI. Did you try this?
    Code:
    ifconfig eth0 down
    Code:
    ifconfig wlan0 up
    Code:
    iwlist wlan0 scan
    Post any output please.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Yeah... what Mike said.

Quote Originally Posted by mbfortuna View Post
    ...is it normal that Fedora crashes sometimes when a webpage plants? Is it a bug?
    Yeah, it can be.
    Something to remember about Fedora... it's a bleeding edge distro.
    The Fedora team tries to keep everything stable, and usually succeeds. But things can break.
    Does Firefox crash? Or does Fedora crash?
    If it the system, it may be a bug.
    If it is, you could probably report that bug to the Fedora dev team.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Just Joined!
    Hi Mike,
    Thanks for your answer.
    When I did ifconfig eth0 down, I got : eth0 unknown interface: No such device
    So I did ifconfig and I got this:
    em1 LINK encap: Ethernet HWaddr 00:1f:c6:7b:65:19
    UP BROADCAST MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric 1
    TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
    RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
    collisions:0 lg file transmission:0 (0.0 b)
    Interruption:19 Adresse de base:0xdead

l0 Link encap:Boucle locale
    inet adr:127,0,0,1 Masque:255.0.0.0
    adr inet6: ::1/128 Scope:Hôte
    UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
    RX packets:4 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
    TX packets:4 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
    collisions:0 lg file transmission:0
    RX bytes240 (240.0 b) TX bytes:240 (240.0 b)

wlan0 Link encap: Ethernet HWaddr 00:15:af:9f:b0:45
    UP BROADCAST MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
    RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
    TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
    collisions:0 lg file transmission:1000
    RX bytes:0 (0.0 b) TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)

ifconfig gives nothing and
    iwlist wlan0 scan gives: Wlan0 No scan results

That's it. I still don't know what to do. I'll wait. Thanks anyway

Just Joined!
    Hi Jay,
    So, I don't think Fedora crashes. I think it's Firefox and when it crashes, the system crashes too and I have to press power to restart everything.
    Fedora's does good at this time (I mean... till now, no crashesLOL).
    Thanks once more

Mauricio

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast