Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Robert, Here are /etc/resolv.conf and the output of route -n lucky@cornucopia:~$ sudo cat /etc/resolv.conf [sudo] password for lucky: # Generated by NetworkManager lucky@cornucopia:~$ sudo route -n Kernel IP routing table ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Robert,

Here are /etc/resolv.conf and the output of route -n

lucky@cornucopia:~$ sudo cat /etc/resolv.conf
    [sudo] password for lucky:
    # Generated by NetworkManager

lucky@cornucopia:~$ sudo route -n
    Kernel IP routing table
    Destination Gateway Genmask Flags Metric Ref Use Iface
    192.168.0.0 0.0.0.0 255.255.255.0 U 0 0 0 eth0
    169.254.0.0 0.0.0.0 255.255.0.0 U 1000 0 0 eth0

search your domain
    nameserver dns server 1
    nameserver dns server 2
    dns server 1 is 193.162.153.164
    dns server 2 is 194.239.134.83
    How do I find your domain in search your domain ?

Amanda

You need to add some DNS servers...
    Here is mine, from my ISP:
    Code:
    $ cat /etc/resolv.conf
    # Generated by dhcpcd from wlan0
    # /etc/resolv.conf.head can replace this line
    nameserver 74.128.19.102
    nameserver 74.128.17.114
    # /etc/resolv.conf.tail can replace this line
    If you know the DNS servers for your ISP, those would be fine. Otherwise, you could add Google DNS:
    Code:
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Just Joined!
    Jay,
    Why don't you have the line search your domain in your /etc/resolv.conf ?
    Amanda

Quote Originally Posted by amanda099 View Post
    Jay,
    Why don't you have the line search your domain in your /etc/resolv.conf ?
    Amanda
    Quite simple... I don't have my own domain.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Just Joined!
    Jay,

I'm a bit uncertain about what I should do now.
    I'm building a web Server hosting my own websites and I have several domains that I bought from whois.com

You use DNS servers from your ISP in your /etc/resolv.conf, why don't you also add the line search your domain where your domain is replaced by your ISP's domain ?

Amanda
    Last edited by amanda099; 03-17-2012 at 11:49 PM.

Jay,

I'm a bit uncertain about what I should do now.
    I'm building a web Server and I have several domains that I bought from whois.com
    You are going to have to setup your resolv.conf file to use name/urls to get to things.
    You can add your domains to the search string if you'd like. The search string is only goo if you like using short names.

You use DNS servers from your ISP in your /etc/resolv.conf, why don't you also add the line search your domain where your domain is replaced by your ISP's domain ?

Amanda
    As stated above the search string is only used for short names. If you do not have a domain it is more or less useless as you are going to be usign the FQDN.

Regards
    Robert

Linux
    The adventure of a life time.

Linux User #296285
    Get Counted

Just Joined!
    Can you please explain this a little bit more for me, Robert
    For example, what do you mean by short names ?
    Amanda

Not sure if you need me to explain everything but here it goes.

Resolv.conf is used by the system to locate DNS servers so FQDN (Fully Qualified Domain Names) can be translated into an ip address. Without this you would be required to know the ip address of the server instead of an easy to remember name.

Code:
     nameserver 1.2.3.4
    nameserver 5.6.7.8
    The servers you list in resolv.conf must be able to do recursion for you to be able to talk to the outside world.

now taken your doamin mydomain.com lets say you have a few service you are running;

mail.mydomain.com
    ftp.mydomain.com
    www,mydomain.com

The short name would be mail, ftp and www. If you wanted to be able to connect to them using just ail, ftp or www you would have to place a search string into resolv.conf as follows;

Code:
     search mydomain.com
    nameserver 1.2.3.4
    nameserver 5.6.7.8
    The search string is then appended to every host during looked up. So now instead of using www,mydomain.com to get to your web server you only need to use www and the example.com would automatically be appended making the lookup search for www,mydomain.com even though you only typed in www.

NOTE: I used ',' instead of '.' in some of the hosts on purpose.

Regards
    Robert

Linux

Linux User #296285
    Get Counted

Just Joined!
    I believe I begin to understand the mechanism behind a server.

I have 3 domains I bought from whois.com
    Let's say I use one of my domains (imabeauty.com) in /etc/resolv.conf, nameservers are some DNS servers I have to look for in my whois account, right ? is it possible to use all 3 domains ?

I can also use my ISP's DNS servers as in Jay's /etc/resolv.conf, right ? in this case, what is the FQDN ?

If I use my own domains and DNS servers from whois in stead from my ISP's I would be more independent when I add other services like mail server or FTP server into my Debian, right ?

I actually have more questions in my mind but I think I should take it a bit at a time and let my brain try to digest things ..

Amanda
    Last edited by amanda099; 03-20-2012 at 01:56 AM.

I have 3 domains I bought from whois.com
    Let's say I use one of my domains (imabeauty.com) in /etc/resolv.conf, nameservers are some DNS servers I have to look for in my whois account, right ? is it possible to use all 3 domains ?
    No. You have to setup your DNS records, on a DNS server that is reachable by everyone, in order for anyone outside your network to be able to use them.

I can also use my ISP's DNS servers as in Jay's /etc/resolv.conf, right ? in this case, what is the FQDN ?
    You still do not understand.

A FQDN is:

www.google.com
    www.redhat.com
    www.linuxforums.org

Your resolv.conf file just allows you to be able to resolve these names to ip addresses. The internet work on ip addresses not names. DNS was designed to allow you to use a name to get to a server without having to remembering its hard to remember ip address.

If I use my own domains and DNS servers from whois in stead from my ISP's I would be more independent when I add other services like mail server or FTP server into my Debian, right ?
    Are you planning on running any services that others outside of your network would need to access?

I actually have more questions in my mind but I think I should take it a bit at a time and let my brain try to digest things ..

Amanda
    I would suggest you start by understanding what it is you want to provide to the public if anything. If you are doing all this just for home use then go for it. Trial and error will help you learn.

Regards
    Robert

Linux

Linux User #296285
    Get Counted

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast