Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
What should I do Code: sudo apt-get remove network-manager or Code: sudo apt-get purge network-manager ? I think I should just remove: Code: sudo apt-get remove network-manager As I can ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

What should I do
    Code:
    sudo apt-get remove network-manager
    or
    Code:
    sudo apt-get purge network-manager
    ?

I think I should just remove:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get remove network-manager
    As I can see man apt-get is just a kind of tutorial, right ? When I have opened it, how can I close it in a correct way in stead of just closing the terminal ? It might sound stupid but I still need to ask !

Amanda

A "man page" is not a tutorial, it is documentation (a manual) for a command, program, etc. If you read the man page you will understand the difference between remove and purge. If you have not modified the networkmanager configuration files it should be safe to purge - regardless if you're not going to use it, purge it.

To exit man pages, or pagers such as more/less, hit the "q" key.

Just Joined!
    Now I have successfully purged network-manager using
    Code:
    sudo apt-get purge network-manager
    But then I couldn't restart networking:
    Code:
    lucky@cornucopia:~$ sudo /etc/init.d/networking restart
    Running /etc/init.d/networking restart is deprecated because it may not enable again some interfaces ... (warning).
    Reconfiguring network interfaces.../etc/network/interfaces:14: duplicate interface
    ifdown: couldn't read interfaces file "/etc/network/interfaces"
    /etc/network/interfaces:14: duplicate interface
    ifup: couldn't read interfaces file "/etc/network/interfaces"
    failed
    Amanda

Problems with your interfaces file - it's clearly stated in the error output you've posted...

Post up the entire contents of the interfaces file in this thread:

Run
    Code:
    cat /etc/network/interfaces > ~/interfaces.txt
    This will create the text file in your /home/<user_name> directory. Put that on a memory stick, transfer it to the machine you're using now and attach/paste the contents of the file here.

Just Joined!
    The default installation uses "NetworkManager" to handle your network connections. Don't edit /etc/nework/interfaces manually because this will only cause you headaches. Go to your Menu and click on "System" > "Preferences" >"Network Connections" then select eth0 and click edit, then go the ipv4 settings tab, make your changes here for everything to work correctly.

Even if you get the connection working by manually editing the /etc/network/interfaces file you will then have a problem with nameserver resolution. If you are running without a GUI then disable "NetworkManager" and enable "network" to handle your connections. If using "network" then also edit /etc/resolv.conf for nameserver resolution.

Don't worry about wlan0 picking up the same ip as your Win7 install because your router is simply assigning your interface the same ip with linux that it would assign with any other device looking for a DHCP address.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by cynwulf View Post
    Run
    Code:
    cat /etc/network/interfaces > ~/interfaces.txt
    This will create the text file in your /home/<user_name> directory. Put that on a memory stick, transfer it to the machine you're using now and attach/paste the contents of the file here.
    This instruction is really useful, I love it !

Quote Originally Posted by cynwulf View Post
    Post up the entire contents of the interfaces file in this thread:
    Code:
    # This file describes the network interfaces available on your system
    # and how to activate them. For more information, see interfaces(5).

# The loopback network interface
    auto lo
    iface lo inet loopback

# The primary network interface
    allow-hotplug eth0
    iface eth0 inet dhcp

auto eth0
    iface eth0 inet static
    address 192.168.0.15
    netmask 255.255.255.0
    gateway 192.168.0.1
    Amanda

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by dsnook View Post
    The default installation uses "NetworkManager" to handle your network connections. Don't edit /etc/nework/interfaces manually because this will only cause you headaches. Go to your Menu and click on "System" > "Preferences" >"Network Connections" then select eth0 and click edit, then go the ipv4 settings tab, make your changes here for everything to work correctly.
    But I have purged NetworkManager. Do you think that I should return everything to the original state ?
    Even if you get the connection working by manually editing the /etc/network/interfaces file you will then have a problem with nameserver resolution.
    But NetworkManager has been purged ... my knowledge is limited but it was NetworkManager that caused problems with nameserver resolution wasn't it. But now NetworkManager is no longer there.
    If you are running without a GUI then disable "NetworkManager" and enable "network" to handle your connections. If using "network" then also edit /etc/resolv.conf for nameserver resolution.
    I have a desktop installed. It's the desktop that provides me a GUI, isn't it ? Again my knowledge is limited and Im just saying what I think and feel ...
    Don't worry about wlan0 picking up the same ip as your Win7 install because your router is simply assigning your interface the same ip with linux that it would assign with any other device looking for a DHCP address.
    But it's a dynamic IP assigned to my Win 7. I'm trying to build a server and I believe I need to have a static IP.

Are there anything I need to rethink ?
    Amanda

It should be obvious what is wrong with your interfaces file:

Code:

auto lo
    iface lo inet loopback

allow-hotplug eth0
    iface eth0 inet dhcp

auto eth0
    iface eth0 inet static
    address 192.168.0.15
    netmask 255.255.255.0
    gateway 192.168.0.1
    i.e. you have simply added (copied and pasted) those stanzas in from a howto or guide you've found on the web without understanding what they do?

The short version is that you have a duplicate entry for eth0 - if you comment out the first two lines under "The primary network interface" it should work:

Code:

auto lo
    iface lo inet loopback

#allow-hotplug eth0
    #iface eth0 inet dhcp

auto eth0
    iface eth0 inet static
    address 192.168.0.15
    netmask 255.255.255.0
    gateway 192.168.0.1
    To bring up the interface:
    Code:
    ifdown eth0
    ifup eth0
    Last edited by cynwulf; 04-06-2012 at 09:29 PM.

Just Joined!
    After commenting out the first two lines under "The primary network interface" what should I do first:
    restart networking
    Code:
    sudo /etc/init.d/networking restart
    or
    bring up the interface using
    Code:
    ifdown eth0
    ifup eth0
    ? I think I should bring up the interface first, then restart networking.

BTW, I remember iface eth0 inet dhcp was commented out before but for some reason it came back. Probably Network Manager caused it to come back !

Just Joined!
    I did it!
    After commenting out the first two lines under "The primary network interface" in /etc/network/interfaces, restart networking, then bring up the interface.

Thank you guys for all the help and patience as you walked me through the process : Jay, Roberts & Cynwulf & Dsnook. I was successful ! What a relief to get this done. The wired connection has been made. This is awesome. Mucho Gracius !

Amanda

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast