Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
Might sound noobish but here it goes. I love linux been using it for a few years now I got a laptop a little while ago and wanted to put ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

maby someone can help?

Might sound noobish but here it goes. I love linux been using it for a few years now I got a laptop a little while ago and wanted to put linux on it BUT after trying out just about every distro found only one that worked out of the box with my wifi. My laptop is a compaq presario cq56 110us the wifi i have trouble with is Ralink RT5390 802.11b/g/n WiFi Adapter. I love Zorin os 5 , the one distro that i found that works out of the box is Ubuntu 11.10 but i dont like unity and the gnome 3 they put in it feels striped down compared to the gnome 2.x in zorin. I really am not to picky about what distro i use on the laptop but i do enjoy the debian community and package's they have avalible in the repository. yes i found out that i can dl some drivers throw them on a flash drive and go through the process of adding them to get the wifi working but i am hoping to find some distro that will work out of the box other then ubuntu 11.10...

Have you tried Linux Mint? Straight Debian would be a good choice, then you could install what you want without all the bloat.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

yes i have tried mint and i do love mint as well i have about 45 distros burned on dvd but dont want to dl any more just to put on a disk and not have it work... i haven't checked to see if mint or debian have had any new releases in the last few months or a new beta but then again i wouldn't be sure if it had support for the Ralink RT5390 till i had it on a disk and booted it up. guess im hoping that someone on here has the same wireless card and found something that works.. i will keep looking and researching in the meantime and if i do find something or someone els finds something ill post the results in the laptop section. In my searches i have found alot of forum with people that have the same wifi card and have the same probs

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    It seems like Open SuSE would work... have you tried that?

yes open suse does have the drivers but those are the ones that need to be downloaded then added into the kernal and i have found a few tricks to get the suse drivers to work on other distros.. i might just have to go the long hard way and attempt that if all els fails
    PYTH0N likes this.

Here's what I'm seeing in my Mint installation for Ralink:
    Code:
    rt2400pci.ko  rt2800lib.ko  rt2x00lib.ko  rt61pci.ko
    rt2500pci.ko  rt2800pci.ko  rt2x00pci.ko  rt73usb.ko
    rt2500usb.ko  rt2800usb.ko  rt2x00usb.ko
    I know you're tired of distro hopping but it wouldn't take much to burn Mint and run it as a live cd to see. I tried RaLink years back and had a lot of problems with it cooperating fully with the then available Linux drivers. They score points though in trying to support Linux. I would imagine their Linux drivers have improved since then.

ill dl the latest mint and post the results on here after all mint is debian based off the ubunto core ill post the results on here in the next few hrs.

Hmmmm i am crossing my fingers here is the first thing i checked i have mint 11 burned but 12 is out now and here is what i saw "Linux Mint 12 features the following upstream components: Ubuntu 11.10, Linux 3.0, Gnome 3.2." ubuntu 11.10 has the support in the kernal for that wifi lets hope lol

You might like Mint 12 LXDE which is a little better on resources than Gnome or KDE.

im not to worried about resources its not a gaming laptop due to the vid card it has intel hd grafix chip but has a 2.2 ghz single core 2 gig ram and 260 gig hd thats why i chose it for linux and its cheep can get it on ebay for 200$ buy out price
    Last edited by kohlif; 03-05-2012 at 01:19 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast