Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree1Likes
Originally Posted by jayd512 Adding to what Roky said, you also need to know what type of encryption that your home network is using, and choose the appropriate option. I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Quote Originally Posted by jayd512 View Post
    Adding to what Roky said, you also need to know what type of encryption that your home network is using, and choose the appropriate option.
    I used to see the term encryption several times when reading some literature on computer security. However, from the standpoint of wifi network, would encryption mean the WPA or WEP thing? Sorry if the question looks funny.

Quote Originally Posted by mhismail View Post
    I used to see the term encryption several times when reading some literature on computer security. However, from the standpoint of wifi network, would encryption mean the WPA or WEP thing?
    That's exactly what it means.
    Different routers will support different forms of encryption (depending on age of router, make and model, etc.). If you have another computer connected to this network wirelessly, you could check your connection details from there.
    Example: If you have a Windows 7 laptop or a MacBook on the network, take a look at the connection settings and details.

If one uses WPA successfully, then that's what you will need. And there should be an option to show your password, as well.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Let's simplify this a bit.
    Try posting the output of these commands, please. If you need to, open any text editor and paste all the output into a text file for easy uploading.
    In YaST -> Network Devices -> Network Settings check the "Traditional Method with ifup"
    Now, open a terminal window, (the command line) and login as root exactly like this and do not forget the hyphen -
    Code:
    su -
    (press enter) then enter your root password and press enter again. You will not see the keystrokes echoed to the screen, just type it out and press enter.
    Now Try these commands. First turn off the cable connection until you are finished here or until the Wireless works.
    Code:
    ifconfig eth0 down
    then check your WiFi interface and bring it up
    Code:
    ip link set wlan0 up
    List the available accesspoints (AP)

Code:
    iwlist scan
    set domain ID to YourAP

Code:
    iwconfig wlan0 essid MyAP
    In the above command, you will need to change MyAP to your actual access point. If you don't know it, look on the side of your router/modem and look for the wireless password while you are there.

check to see if the AP is set

Code:
    iwconfig wlan0
    If the card is associated now, start dhclient, or

Code:
    dhclient wlan0
    EDIT: Tell us exactly which laptop/device you are using, the more info the better. Also, check your owners manual for hotkeys to turn the Wireless card off and on. Sometimes it's just one button, on my Wifes machine she has to press the FUNCTION and Wireless key, so 2 keys.
    Last edited by MikeTbob; 05-19-2012 at 04:15 AM. Reason: See EDIT:
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Example: If you have a Windows 7 laptop or a MacBook on the network, take a look at the connection settings and details.

Ok, thanks for the response.
    I Learnt something from there. It looks quite obvious to me now, though i was really clueless before!.
    On my previous modem the setting (encryption?) was WAP & WEP2 personal. Following your suggestion I checked on my Macbook, its now 802.1x WPA:AMD-Wifi. meaning the new modem router was made in the factory with this setting. Am I getting it right, there?
    Ok, when i got back to my HP mini and edit my wireless connection I could see a few options for setting, which included 802.1x. When this was selected I got the following dialog box on the screen:

Screenshot-2.jpg

I can only fill in the last box with my new wireless password. However, after inputting my new password, the 'connect' button remains 'inactive'. I could not click on it! DO I need to fill in the other blank spaces, to activate the 'connect' button? I presume I need not bother the other items given as a default, in their respective spaces.
    Thanks and looking forward to solve this issue soon.

Just Joined!
    This issue REALLY amazed and confused me!! I may have to take some space here to share with you guys – who are experts in LINUX, on what I have been going through.

Last week I called my ISP service provider to help me with my home wifi via my Macbook-- the connection 'was lost'!. How was it lost? I wanted to see what sort of encryption does my home wifi comes with. Unfortunately, it did NOT show the encryption. I meddled with the AIRPORT on and off toggle and I managed to see the encryption as 802.1x.....

Whalla! I now know this encryption should now be set on my HP mini! The next step follows.

As advised by the tech support rep of my ISP, I went through the steps with him and managed to get the HP wifi connection on again (ah.... relief...). At the end of that day (using my HP on wifi) I switched off the HP. The next day, in the evening, I got back to my HP, but this time I could not get to the wifi – again!!! No matter what I did in the network manager mode, I just could not get it on! This phenomena went on for a couple of days-- and today, I have a bit of 'spare' time, I decided to give another try. Know what – amazing and confusing – the wifi came on! Definitely, for now I will NEVER be able to explain this phenomenon. Thus, I greatly appreciate enlightenment from you guys out there.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3