Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
its same model like ubuntu 10.10 (its said...) That explains a lot on your previous post readout I guess on apt-cache policy not showing the intel firmware package in repos ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Guru

its same model like ubuntu 10.10 (its said...)
    That explains a lot on your previous post readout I guess on apt-cache policy not showing the intel firmware package in repos I guess. Ubuntu 10.10 is no longer supported. Reached end of life on April 10, 2012.o

So. Instead of trying to install tar.gz intel firmware. Which could have been avoided if Jay would have known Distro version and release.

Go to this page
    linux-firmware RPM DEB Free Download for Linux - pkgs.org

left click on the Ubuntu 10.04LTS orange bar on bottom.
    download the

Ubuntu Main:

linux-firmware_1.34_all.deb - Firmware for Linux kernel drivers

if you have gdebi. Use that to install the firmware and reboot. Then do the apt-cache policy again to make sure it is installed.
    Then the ifconfig -a to see if wireless shows up. Then if everything is hunky dory. Connect up with whatever network manager Black Ubuntu uses. Crossing my fingers that previous attempts of installing firmware won't cause a snag in this.

If you don't have gdebi is Black Ubuntu. You can go into the directory you downloaded the .deb into. Open your terminal there.
    Code:
    sudo dpkg -i (then type in package name. You can use the first few letters and then hit the tab key to complete)
    So. It is sudo. Hit space key. dpkg. Hit space key. -i. Hit space key. Then Package name (.deb)

This is why I like running AntiX and Debian Testing repos. There is no end of life running linux this way like in Ubuntu or Fedora. I run as a rolling release like Arch and Gentoo and Debian Testing and Unstable users. Some of my AntiX installs go back to version 8.5 but are still current running with testing repos enabled. In case you ever feel like experimenting with something else. LMDE might be right up your alley.
    http://www.linuxmint.com/download_lmde.php

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by rokytnji View Post
    This is why I like running AntiX and Debian Testing repos. There is no end of life running linux this way like in Ubuntu or Fedora. I run as a rolling release like Arch and Gentoo and Debian Testing and Unstable users. Some of my AntiX installs go back to version 8.5 but are still current running with testing repos enabled. In case you ever feel like experimenting with something else. LMDE might be right up your alley.
    Download - Linux Mint
    Couldn't have said that better myself

Just Joined!
    Hi all,

my BB wifi still not work/detect. i used these :

Code:
    sudo dpkg -i linux-firmware_1.34_all.deb
    on where's im copy folder firmware, n reboot, check ifconfig -a still not detect.
    is there my laptop network card problems just for ubuntu 10.10 kernel or what?
    because the other wifi OS works properly in my laptop. I didnt configure the kernel or firmware like this before. I just setting IP for my LAN n thats it.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    is there my laptop network card problems just for ubuntu 10.10 kernel or what?
    This is a spinoff of Ubuntu 10.10 so kinda hard to tell. Spinoff distros can be problematic at the best of times. Unless they are well established like xubuntu or what ever. I never heard of Black Ubuntu until this thread. What is funny as heck to me is that it seems to be related/similar to Back Track Linux and I have heard nothing but problems from new Linux users trying to connect to the internet in BackTrack but have no need or knowledge running a penetration/hacking distro in the first place.

http://www.unix.com/security/178685-...ackubuntu.html

If you insist on running a penetration/hacking type of distro. Install a current version instead of trying to fix a unsupported version would be my suggestion. I have no need or inclination or knowledge running these kind of distros. Sorry.

Sorry for the late reply here...
    Blackbuntu, to my knowledge, is often quite finicky when it comes to wireless.
    You might actually want to consider installing a standard *buntu and then add the extra packages that you were wanting from BB.

Wireless should, then, work out-of-the-box.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2