Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello all! I'm not sure if this is the right place to be posting this since I am new to the forums as well as linux. I am currently running ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question Odd Problem with certain websites..

Hello all!

I'm not sure if this is the right place to be posting this since I am new to the forums as well as linux.

I am currently running openSUSE 12.1.

I'm having a strange problem with secure websites (basically facebook/hotmail).

Right now I'm at the girlfriends place and everything is working as it should. She is using a linksys router and I am able to connect with no issues and browse any site I would like including facebook.

At home is a different story. I'm able to browse almost every site (google works fine, banking websites work fine) except facebook either hangs on the log in screen or functions improperly if I do login.

What makes this is weird is that I have 3 machines running windows (different versions) and they have no issues browsing facebook. (using a d-link dir-825 at home)

This may be a simple fix but since I am a total nub cake I am unable to figure out why this is happening. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Hello and Welcome.
    Have you tried a different browser? Did you enable Javascript?
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    I assume you are running the same system at home as you are at your girlfriend's place? If so, is your network connection using a static IP address, or is it using a DHCP allocated one? If static, then that is likely your problem since d-link and linksys use different local network addresses. Linksys uses 192.168.1.x and d-link uses 192.168.0.x (I think, if I recall properly). Using a DHCP address will fix that.

One other thing is that even if you are using DHCP, and hibernate/sleep the system between one network and the other, then you may need to use the NetworkManager tool to disconnect, and reconnect the network connection so you are given a new DHCP address. This has bitten me in the past.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeTbob View Post
    Hello and Welcome.

Have you tried a different browser? Did you enable Javascript?

Yes Mike, I've tried firefox and chrome and the issues persists. Yes I
    have Javascript enabled and have tested it with other websites. I know
    the browsers are working properly anyways because everything is fine
    when I am on my girlfriends home network. The problem is only with my
    network where some websites don't work properly; mostly facebook that I
    have noticed a problem with. I have no problems with them on this
    network on a windows machine, only the linux box.

Quote Originally Posted by Rubberman View Post
    I assume you are running the same system at home
    as you are at your girlfriend's place? If so, is your network connection
    using a static IP address, or is it using a DHCP allocated one? If
    static, then that is likely your problem since d-link and linksys use
    different local network addresses. Linksys uses 192.168.1.x and d-link
    uses 192.168.0.x (I think, if I recall properly). Using a DHCP address
    will fix that.

One other thing is that even if you are using DHCP, and hibernate/sleep
    the system between one network and the other, then you may need to use
    the NetworkManager tool to disconnect, and reconnect the network
    connection so you are given a new DHCP address. This has bitten me in
    the past.

Rubberman, I am using the same system both places. I am using DHCP on
    both networks and I am definitely able to connect. I am able to browse
    most websites (including this one) and I only seem to have a problem
    with facebook although there may be other sites with a problem.

The problem seems to have something to do with the router (dlink DIR-825) because I
    experience no issues on a different network with a different router. The
    odd thing about it is that the windows machines work normally and they
    have been for a while?

It seems like this should be a simple fix but I'm such a newbie with linux I can't figure it out :S

Edit: I am unable to post on these forums either unless I use my windows machine?

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    Have you tried clearing your cookies, cache and site settings?
    "I used to be with it, then they changed what it was.
    Now what was it isn't it, and what is it is weird and scary to me.
    It'll happen to you too."

Grandpa Simpson

The Fifth Continent

Just Joined!
    Yes I have tried that, as well as reinstalling firefox and chrome but to no avail...

Is there some security settings that some routers have that would stop only linux and not windows?? This problem is only on my linux machine and only occurs on some networks ?

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    You still didn't answer my question as to whether you shut down the system before moving to the other network, or just sleep/hibernated it. Which was it?

Just Joined!
    Sorry Rubberman for not actually answering that. I have always shut down the system, never used sleep or hibernate. I am thinking that this issue may have something to do with IPv6 I'm just not sure why the windows machines can handle this correctly and the linux box cannot? However I'm not exactly an expert and that could be totally wrong..

Ok. Thanks for the clarification. Root-Cause-Analysis requires all the pertinent information, and doing it remotely like this is sometimes very difficult!

Ok. Secure sites mostly use SSL which are encrypted channels. Although I haven't seen this with SSL, I have seen similar issues when the encryption is using Kerberos, and that was dependent upon the version being used interacting with our ISP (AT&T) or router (we think it's the ISP, but not 100% sure of that). IE, it may have nothing to do with your system, yet be some weird interaction with your ISP or router. In my wife's case, she doesn't have this problem elsewhere, like down at the local coffee shop...

Just Joined!
    Hi Billowz!

Have you tried running Firefox's Web Developer console (Tools > Web Developer > Web Developer Console, or something similar slightly depending on FF version) whilst loading a troublesome page, such as Facebook? This may give some clue as to whether the connection is redirected, or times out, or whatever. Additionally, have you jumped onto the router and had a look at its configuration? Maybe there is some restriction that applies only to the IP address used by this laptop?